Lexus LS400? Luxury everyday or money pit waiting to happen?

The late W124 ones are cheaper and better built.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

No... but then I'd have bought a 216 Cabriolet for around that if not less, and it would still be a: reliable, b: fun to drive given it has the 130bhp same twin cam lump as the GTi, and c: worth basically what it owed me, given it wouldn't be a rotten heap in the first place, and wouldn't have deterioated much in the time I'd owned it. ;-)

--=20 JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

If the Passat is the definition of a hot hatch - surely I'm in a scalding hatch :-p

Reply to
Iridium

It can't be, it isn't a hatch, it just outdrives them all. All I tell you, all. Except the Golf. Or something.

Reply to
DervMan

Would it be a turbo, do you need to get out to put the roof up and down=20 and did people ever turn heads for a Rover Cabrio other than to point=20 and laugh?

Class is as Class does.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Muse-Map of the Problematiqu=E9

Reply to
Elder

No... but then I'd have bought a 216 Cabriolet for around that if not less, and it would still be a: reliable, b: fun to drive given it has the 130bhp same twin cam lump as the GTi, and c: worth basically what it owed me, given it wouldn't be a rotten heap in the first place, and wouldn't have deterioated much in the time I'd owned it. ;-)

Erm, it's an old Rover - it *would* be a rotten heap :-)

Reply to
Iridium

I just broke in a new pair of front Pirelli P6000s from Scarborough to Whitby on the A171 - which for some reason was empty (Well, I overtook 2 cars - but they were well before the best bit ;-)). Christ that was fun :-) My little scalding hatch really is immense fun to drive hard on a road like that - especially with tyres that aren't Kwik Fit own brand 'Ceat's'.

Reply to
Iridium

But they don't have that engine.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

This is where you have to come to a compromise - the W124s are more rot resistant and better built, the W210s have a better engine but rust like a MkIV Escort and have similar build quality.

Personally, for me, the W124 would be a better purchase.

Reply to
SteveH

Given that you don't have the first clue about anything other than squeezing the last couple of MPG out of your cars, any comment regarding handling can be disregarded.

Reply to
SteveH

You said the same thing about the GT4 4wd.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Muse-Map of the Problematiqu=E9

Reply to
Elder

All have achieved over 30MPG on regular premium petrol. The Skoda gets=20 closer to 40.

I reckon the suspension might be OK for a while. Can't do much about the=20 engine noise in the cabin, might need rear discs for the MOT next month.

I know. I never proposed to get "like new", driving or otherwise. But a=20 lot of older cars still have lots of life in them.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Muse-Map of the Problematiqu=E9

Reply to
Elder

The most enjoyable aspect about my typical commute at the moment is trying to average the same mph as mpg...

Reply to
DervMan

LOL, one of you is really winding the other up...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I can safely say that is not the favourite part of my commute. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Given that you can't help yourself but have a personal go at me rather than come up with facts and figures, your response is predictable. As is the response to this post too.

First there was the Primera. That handled well, went well, cost nothing. Diesels were s**te, why would you need one? Then you swapped it for the Passat. Suddenly the Primera was a sloppy, evil handling car with shiny hard plastics, a coarse engine. Oh and diesels were still s**te, Passat diesels would make no sense, the Passat B5 1.8T would out-handle any hot hatch you'd come across and be refined enough such that you could be stroking its soft touch plastic dashboard whilst running the Gumball3000 rally on half a tank of petrol. Or something.

During this time you can't bring yourself to run an Alfa Romeo over your commute, but not because Alfa Romeos are s**te and will fall apart under the drive, no, because they're exclusive, or something like this. Oh and the Alfa Romeo 75 would be too quick for navigational rallies.

At this point should I introduce your comment about the Fiat Cinquecento Sporting "going well?"

Insert some nonsence about cup holder covers, throw in a bundle of "mini reviews" to try to persuade people you do drive other cars, then how wonderful the new Passat is... oh I've lost the will to go on. Where's the "send" button?

Reply to
DervMan

Oh come on now, trying to *average* ~58 mph in the first half of the rush hour can be challenging... :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Heh. Surely not.

Reply to
DervMan

Challenging? I don't doubt that it can be. However, given the lack of roads with speed limits over 50mph on my commute, I'd find it nigh on impossible, even if the traffic level let me exceed the limit.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You said the same thing about the GT4 4wd.

Haldex 4wd isn't 'a bit shit' though is it. It's economical FWD when you're cruising and grippy 4wd when you need it.

Reply to
Iridium