[OT] Insane Burger

I got around at least half of your problem by replacing the rear shock with a block of wood once. Worked well. Takes a while to get back into cycling but once you're in, you wonder why it ever was! Poor workman blames his tools!! You'll get used to it. Something I learned from 18 months on the road living out of a backpack or in an old VW van was to make do and mend and how flexible the human body (and moreover, mind) is. I went shopping with my sister for some trainers to do jogging in, to replace my knackered old ones that have a hole in the bottom. She kept insisting that I go for all this expensive high-tech bollocks. I said look, if I can run five miles in these old holey ones, I can run ten in a new pair of those cheap ones and I won't look like a chav either. Both are probably better than Roger Bannister wore when he did the four minute mile. The rest is marketing!
Our decadent Western lifestyle leads us to believe we need X and Y to achieve Z. What a prat I felt in my knock-off North Face in the Himalayas when the local Sherpas were up at 3000m in the snow with 50kg of live chickens in a cage strapped to their back walking in flip- flops.

a lot of the exercise stuff I've looked at is normally pointless. most of it makes the exercise easy! I was looking at a lot of stuff for sit ups when all you really need is a padded mat. or to get better abs a tilted bench which I'll probably get sometime along with a punch bag :)
Elder wrote:

heh, fair enough. So maybe a cheap road bike until you're back in shape enough for the old one? I only suggest it 'cos I assume that you actually enjoyed cycling, and I reckon enjoying the exercise is the key thing which lets you stick at it...

You'll already know this, but the gut is the last bit to go. I reckon I'm still carrying a stone or so of fat and most of that is around the gut and the top of the thighs. (This is getting way too personal, but I don't give a feck any more.)
Anyway.
I used to be a 40" waist and am now somewhere between a 30" or 32". Even at that, there's a good bit of spare still to lose there and it's proving very very tough to get rid of. I reckon I can still lose a good 2" of circumference around the middle and get to a genuine 30" waist - hence the cycling and other exercise I'm now doing. It won't beat me.
If you're already doing something about it, no more needs to be said. Well done for getting this far. Once you really get into the mindset, it will become a mission.

I've lost about 4 pounds in the last few weeks as I need to slim down my belly to get into my wedding suit. Trying to cut down carbs in the evening and do plenty of exercise - either a nice long walk or some time on the Wii fit and it seems to be working so far. If I can get down to 11.5 stone with an inch off my belly I'll be happy, so thats about 8lb to go I think.
Stag do this weekend though, which could hinder my progress.....

fuck me am i the skinniest guy on here? i'm 6' 2 and weigh just over 10 1/2 stone! i do kick boxing 3 times a week mind and i don't eat to much shit so maybe that's it
Vamp wrote:

6'2" as well, I'm around 15 stone.
--
Pete M - OMF#9

Range Rover V8 Turbo (sold)
Vamp wrote:

Jeebus. I'm 6'4 and about 12 and a half stone which is what I've been fairly consistently for the last 10 years or so.
I am quite skinny. You must look like a racing rake.
--
Douglas

Yer baws.
If you're 6'4" then I'm 5'2".
Which I'm not.
You're at least eleven feet thirteen.
says...

That small? I swear he had to fold himself in three last time I saw him get into a car.
--
Conor

Conor wrote:

Heheh, it's not a very big car...
--
Douglas

You must be, if you are 10.5 stone you're too thin and into health damaging territory for 6' 2". You should be about half a stone to a stone heavier.
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 22:30:20 +0100, Steve Firth mumbled:

My brother's about 6'0 and ten stone wet through. He eats like a horse but never, ever puts any weight on. He's even gone down the training supplements and heavy weights route. Puts on about nothing, just gets more wiry. He hates it..
Mike P
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 22:02:44 +0000, Mike P wrote:

I *used* to eat like a horse and stayed at 12 stone, 6'0" for years and years.
When I got to late thirties, suddenly the weight piled on. 15 stone now and trying to lose some...

lol half a stone under my weight is hardly health damaging! my doc said i should be around 11 stone but i yo yo a bit between 10.5 and 11 stone for some reason. most of the time i'm just over 10.5 though. do like kind of weird cos i don't have a lot of fat just muscle from the kick boxing, i look a bit like the picture in the old science books of the human body with all the muscles shown lol

Err you'd be surprised. Half a stone under is more damaging than a stone over.

I once had really sudden and quite nasty back pain (all sorted by some anti-inflammatories temporarily, and not had any real problems since) - when I went to the doctor, she asked the question "does your weight stay constant?". Still makes me chuckle to this day, that does.
--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Vamp wrote:

No, probably not hugely damaging, but I'd try to keep it up at 11 if I were you. Fat does a lot of biochemical things - it is involved in the production and regulation of steroids, it acts as your reservoir of water, and in the case of brown fat it directly converts stored energy to heat on demand - it is vital to temperature regulation.
Not having enough functional fat cells can affect bone strength, muscle formation and fertility, amongst others, so I'd avoid being pointlessly skinny if I were you.

I've got plenty of spare ones he can have.
--
Conor

Utter rubbish,
Your BMI result is: 18.90 You are in the healthy weight range.
"Medical research suggests that this range is associated with the best health and least risk of heart disease, some cancers, osteoporosis and a range of other health problems. There are no health benefits to changing your weight, but your health will benefit from being active and eating a healthy diet."