[OT] Ping Dervy: Your Perfect PDA

Just browsing your website, namely the 'My Perfect PDA' page. I got one of these a couple of weeks ago...

It's the Orange SPV M2000. I got for a couple of reasons: 1. to replace my Treo 600 as the bluetooth comes in handy and 2. I was fed up with having a phone and an iPAQ stuck to my car's dash.

The device uses IrDA, Bluetooth, WiFi, CSD and GPRS for communication choices. It has a 400MHz X-Scale processor and 128MB RAM. It also has a SD I/O slot and a built-in VGA camera which can take photos and video.

MP3 is no problem and it even comes with a pair of stereo headphones.

For me it was a perfect replacement for the Treo/iPAQ. I now only have the one device on my dashboard where it takes the roles of handsfree phone, SatNav (Tom Tom Navigator 3), Traffic Master (Tom Tom Traffic) and GPS speed camera warner (Checkpoint).

I'm currently using a bluetooth headset but I have a Sony Ericsson HCB-300 bluetooth carkit ready for when I get my new car...

You should give one a go :)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Got one myself mate (well, an XDA2s), and must agree how fantastic (if a little buggy) they are. Pretty much does everything you could ever think of. Sat in the lounge, recorded a video of something, emailed it through my WiFi to my mate, talked to him about it on MSN through the PDA, quality!

Abo, have a look on

, it's a great resource for new ROM's and advice on all of the HTC devices. Dan

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

Aye I've checked it out on t'internet. And just because we have WiFi at home and in the office, and I have sufficient Bluetooth hardware kicking about, doesn't mean I need one.

Plus it uses a version of SmartPhone rather than "proper" PocketPC.

But it's expensive... What's the battery performance like? :)

Reply to
DervMan

It's pretty good; certainly better than what you're used to with the E200. Mine will go for about a day and a half without recharging *if* I don't use the WiFi. WiFi does use the battery as you'd expect but the device does come with two batteries, and the desktop cradle has two slots so you should have plenty of battery power to keep you going.

TBH I don't have an issue with the battery as the device is being charged in the car when it's working as a satnav so it's always fully charged for when I get out and start using it as a phone/PDA.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

But it's HUGE, and somewhat costly.

can be had for around £100 on contract these days, and it'll happily do all of the above. And it's a "real" phone, and it fits in your pocket :)

Reply to
Nom

The O2 XDA2s uses Windows Mobile 2003 SE, which is "proper" PocketPC!

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

> can be had for around £100 on contract these days, and it'll happily do > all of the above. And it's a "real" phone, and it fits in your pocket :)

My M2000 fits just fine in my pocket. WiFi is handy and it'll run Tom Tom Navigator. You can get 'em free, or from about £130 on a 'reasonable' tariff. Having said that, I'm not paying for the phone or the bills :)

Reply to

No, PocketPC isn't being developed beyond 2003. Now it's WinMob / SmartPhone / whatever it's being called.

PPC02 and PPC03 suck.

Windows Mobile is much, much better.

£350 for me via Orange though...
Reply to
DervMan

Ouch, but maybe eBaying your E200 and a couple of your other devices will offset some of the cost :)

Reply to