Re: Audi TT engines?

I think it was wrt the S2000 actually.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

no, but it makes them look better than they are. Best VAG motor is the V6 from the RS4.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

d i e s e l

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

never

only a 190

maybe but rover would catch it past 60

yeah, and that'll not carry four people and a weeks luggage

french

no shit sherlock

doubtful

They didn't. They made a very fast saloon car with usual front drive limitations. Bet you think the original T5R was s**te too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, the S2000. Widely regarded as being dodgy.

Reply to
Lordy

Nooooo. Take the Audi TDi.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heh!

I got into a TT first time, with a passenger, and drove it really hard over my favourite route. ESP on. It's not really that quick. Passenger was impressed.

Drove back ESP off, it's a scary machine - oversteer or understeer, you don't know until it happens. Passenger was silent...

TT is crap, for women and hairdressers only. I'm amazed David Hasselhoff doesn't drive one.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

HEY! Lets not start mockin KING DAVE. Have you never seen Baywatch? The man is clearly a GOD.

Reply to
Dan405

Even with a K&N and 157,000 miles on like most of them?

Even then, it would be VERY close match lookin at the 0-60 figures, and after 60 the 620 would start to march off.

Probly would, but again, the lack of torque would be cripplin as a daily driver, and aren't they Turbo'd?

3s-ge? Is that standard? What even is it?

Aye, and it would only hit 60 about 0.1 seconds quicker than the Ti.

That aside, they only have 180bhp don't they? And of course, V-Tec torque, my moneys on the Ti.

A Cup maybe, but on paper, the 172 has the same 0-60 time and the Ti has higher top end, so depending how long your straight line is.....

To be fair, thats a 2 seater sports car and not really in the same league as any of these cars here, you'd expect it to be quicker, and again, the Ti has a higher top end, so depending how long our straight line is....

I'll second and raise that too, never.

I was kinder hoping he'd say Saxo VTS for my own amusement :)

Not one of the same cars you've listed is even close to the same class as the Ti, they were made as a Exec cruiser, all these are hot hatches and sports cars, and as such, should be much better than the Ti, but most of them are slower! Would you compare a Ferrari to a 106? No, cos they're completely different cars.

Reply to
Dan405

And how many of those mentioned so far, are big 4-door family saloons ?

Agreed. I'm laughing out loud right now :)

Reply to
Nom

It's not supposed to be "anything special" - it's a 4-door family saloon FFS ! Hardly a sports car.

Bollocks. If he had traction issues, then his was broken. Mine's tweaked to make 13psi of boost (above the stock 10psi), and I have no traction trouble at all - that includes wet conditions. If you wanna light up the tyres, you have to do it on purpose. I'm running ultra s**te Federal and Marshal tyres, BTW.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Er, how many of those are large 4door family saloons ? Are you some kind of idiot ? Do you know what a Rover 600 *is* ?

In addition to the above, how many of those cars are quicker than a Civic Type-R ? On the road, the Civic's a very even match for the TI....until about 80mph, and then I usually begin to pull away.

There are none. I can't think of one single 2.0 NA 16V 4-door family saloon, that's quicker than a 620 TI. I also can't think of very many 2.0 Turbo 16V 4-door family saloons, that are quicker than a 620 TI - only stuff with vast amounts more power like STi Scoobies, and Evos and the like. And they're only very small.

Correct. Why do you think you could ? Again, are you some kind of idiot ?

Reply to
Nom

These troll posters are top comedy for all :D

Even though that list consists of COMPLETELY different classes of car, there's not much on it that's a meaningful amount quicker. And there's NOTHING on it that's a meaningful amount quicker once you get above 60mph.

Reply to
Nom

I'm thinking more of a nice Tigra...

Reply to
Dan405

An Alfa 155 / 156 Twin-Spark would run it very close on a twisty road, as would a Fiat Marea HLX (the one with the NA 5-cylinder Turbo lump).

Lancia Dedra and Thema Turbos (Integrale lumps), erm, Saab 900 T16, Ford Sierra Saphire Cossie. If you expand it to V6s, then there's loads of

4-ddor cars that are about the same pace. Difference is that most of these have better chassis design.
Reply to
SteveH

I've raced a couple actually, it's actually nippier than you'd expect it to be at lower speeds (sub 50mph) if you're caught off guard. Still outran it at high speeds tho (bearing in mind that mine is poorly).

Reply to
Lordy

I think he's mistakenly confusing you and David as being the same person.

Reply to
Lordy

Indeed, fair current comparisons would be Mondeo ST220 (maybe), Volvo S60T5 (definitely), Vectra Turbo (no chance) Rover 75 V6 (no chance) , Passat (but which one - 1.8T no chance, W8 is so pricey...) etc.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Anything current with all the weight of safety options that weren't part of the 600 age of car is going to have to be 220 or more BHP to keep up.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What do people not understand about cars like the 620ti, the ST220, the Vectra V6, Volvo T4/T5 etc. It's not about 0-60, or ultimate cornering G, it's about 4 adults, luggage, 140+ cruising ability, medium price and common looking car. Most of that list would have had difficulty keeping with my Rover 75 (2.0 non turbo) on a uk A road and had no chance on the autobahn. None would get you through a 600 to 900 mile day without feeling like crap at the end of it.

620ti was the first of a breed that now contains ST220, 3.2Vectra, S60T5, Saab 9-5 Aero etc. Space and pace.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

155 would have it on the track, 156 is too lardy to cope (600 was quite lightweight). Marea is the dark horse as you mention...

OOOOOooohhhhh the Dedra.... Tears are rolling down my leg....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp