Re: Friends, Northerners, Scotsmen, Scousers, help me out here!

Just sold the 'old' van on ebay, and happily said I'd take PayPal for it,

> providing the buyer stumped up the 2.9% fee on top (as I'm a kindhearted chap > I offered to swallow the cost of the 20p flat fee myself), and the winning > bidder wants to pay on paypal (using credit card).

Ebay don't allow you to add a surcharge.

Reply to
Depresion

Who cares what ebay 'allows' - it's a reasonable expectation that anyone who wants to use a source such as ebay to pay for a high value item should be expected to pay the fees.

Reply to
SteveH

Bank transfer is the easiest solution. Just email him your account No and sort code. Cash transfer to your account can be confirmed online or by telephone, within an hour. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Exactly. I stated the terms, by bidding he agreed. Simple. He doesn't have an issue with that anyway. The problems are elsewhere....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Dead simple if he actually had the cash, but he wanted to do it on paypal so he can put it on his credit card as he hasn't got the actual cash. :-(

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Credit Card Cheque?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

It's stated in the Ebay T&C that you as a seller are forbidden to add a surcharge, by listing the item you agree to them. You can't override it.

Reply to
Depresion

Erm, plenty of people do. Regardless of what ebay say.

Reply to
SteveH

I've suggested this, and he's not familiar with them - says he only uses his credit card to get stuff on ebay via paypal. I've said that he should be able to get one issued, and he's going to phone up his CC company after he's finished work - it seems he works in an oppresive regime where even so much as a glass of water is frowned upon, let alone a phone call.

But anyway - is there a form of credit card cheque that's as risk-free as a banker's draft?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Exactly. ATEOTD every ebay transaction is a private deal, agreed between two individuals. I don't know why Depresion keeps on pushing this point - it hasn't ever become an issue, and is basically nothing to do with the actual issue in hand.

Ah well, such is usenet....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No.

Without having an online authorisation system employing chip and pin I wouldn't go anywhere near a credit card for any reasonably large transaction.

Reply to
SteveH

Couldn't he just withdraw the cash from his credit card to his bank account then give you the cash or a bankers draft? I wouldn't use Paypal for an amount such as this. Even if there weren't any problems with the buyer, Paypal could still suspend your account until you sent them details to prove you are who you claim to be.

Reply to
Homer

Is following the simple and clearly available rules too much trouble?

Reply to
Depresion

Because it's a rule that more people ignore than comply with.

Reply to
SteveH

Looking at Ebay that's quite plainly untrue and by breaking it you are just opening up an avenue for lots of trouble.

Reply to
Depresion

Is minding one's own business and getting off one's high horse too much trouble?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sorry but if as a seller you want to have the benefit of being able to accpet credit cards, you bite the bullet and accept the charges.

Paypal is no more expensive than having a merchant account.

Reply to
Conor

And plenty of them get reported.

Reply to
Conor

Ah...plastic millionaire.

Reply to
Conor

Sold the Merc via Paypal - and I just had to take the hit.

My account's only 1.5% surcharge - maybe it's because I've signed up for a Business Paypal account.

David

Reply to
David Lane