Re: Friends, Northerners, Scotsmen, Scousers, help me out here!

I would have assumed that if his CC was good for it, he could in effect withdraw the cash for the credit transfer. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Shouldn't be a problem. Main problem with taking the card is that if the guy collects then you've taken a card sight unseen and not delivered it to the cardholder's address - that could be chargeback city.

Future reference:

  1. Don't take cards for cars - you want hard cash, or a bank transfer.
  2. To get around paypal charges, offer a discount for cash instead of a surcharge for paypal...
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But it's anything but instantaneous between banks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's what I was told a couple of weeks ago by an eBay seller. I paid the cash into his account at about 1pm. Emailed him, and the item was delivered next day, so it couldn't have taken long for his bank to confirm the payment. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yeah, but Germany is PayPal Europe. Aus is PayPal Australia And the US is PayPal America.

If something is bought by an American, from you, they pay by Paypal and then claim not to recieve it, PayPal US want a tracking number. If you sent it by Royal Mail/Airmail that is useless, because they want either a USPS or certain courier tracking number.

Otherwise they refund the buyer. If a dispute happens they can actually suspend the account, snatch money in it "for escrow" while it is getting sorted, and give back to the person who sent it to you, even if it is a refund from a company with an paypal shopping cart on their webstore, for goods they no longer stock.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That's right. A branch of the same bank as his. I don't know whether that made any difference Mike..

Reply to
Mike G

Can't see the problem. It's a car. It's easily traceable and plod are more likely to do something about it if you report it as stolen.

Reply to
Conor

You need to change your bank.

Two methods:

BACS - takes 3 days but is free to the person sending the money. CHAPS - instantaneous but costs up to £35 for the sender.

Reply to
Conor

Use CHAPS and it's virtually instantaneous.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, but the chargeback might happen 2-3 weeks down the line - I think the cutoff is up to 30 days after the transaction - plenty of time for the van to have fresh new number and VIN plates, making it a lot harder for the police to pick up easily.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Since when were stolen cars easily traceable? In 2003 278,000 cars were stolen, 47% of which were never recovered.

Reply to
Homer

It's quicker if you share the same bank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the buyer is serious and can only pay by PayPal, then accept the payment and withdraw it immediately and only release the van once the payment has gone. Then remove your paying in details from the account.

Once the money is out of your account, it can't be charged back from you by PayPal. His CC company can however do a chargeback on PayPal, so there's always the risk that PayPal could end up out of pocket though and come after you...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I spose you go into Ikea and say the same to them when they surcharge you for credit card transactions.

Reply to
Ed

Utter rubbish. Paypal is appalling compared to a processing company such as Streamline.

Reply to
Ed

Riiiight.

Oh yes it can!

Exactly. It's there in black and white in their t's + c's, that even if the chargeback happens weeks down the line, long after you've withdrawn the funds, that they can still use every legal avenue available to chase you for those funds. Which makes your entire post complete and utter bollocks.

HTH.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Doesn't work...

Yes it can...

Reply to
Conor

53% were.
Reply to
Conor

Yeah....stop using Ebay. It needs a level of trust.

Reply to
Conor

ROFLMAO. You have f*ck all idea about merchant accounts obviously. Firstly alot of business types, such as computer shops, have all hell on to even be accepted. There's a sign up fee as well as a monthly subscription and you have to pay for all the gear. On top of that, they'll take about the same as Paypal do for every CC transaction.

Reply to
Conor