Re: Top Gear....

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Alfa 147 GTa > > Say no more. >

You mean, it's crap, it's brutal, it's dangerous, and it is actually slower.

I'll take three please :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I'd rather have Jodie Kidd...

Reply to
James

I think you'll find I **NEED** one more.

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

And also the most pointless. Whats the point of having all that power if it can't get it on to the road? Totally useless car.

TRH

Reply to
TRH

i want one but i don't yet i do :)

Reply to
Vamp

Thats not the point, it just makes it fun to drive :)

Reply to
Cheater2k

Come on, boys, think about the depreciation of the car! And it's Italian! . .. ...

Bugger, I might just go and take a look. Looking doesn't hurt, doest it?

3.2 liter engine... 250 HP ... only FWD...?

. .. ...

Here I go again.

Tom

Reply to
Tom De Moor

That my friends, is a car with a soul.

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

What scares me is that it is a car made by Italians to be driven by Italians. It will be coming to roads near me very soon and the autostrade are already scary enough to drive on. Next year the speed limit goes up to 190.

Oh damn, I'm going to die.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mr Alfa's car looks better :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

If Saab could take the H.O.T engine from the 9-5 Aero as it stands now, and mate it to a classic T16 shell, so you got that out of the Factory I would have to agree with you.

But there have been plenty of instances in the past of individuals or

3rd party tuners taking fairly warm cars (Hirsch, Abbott, Maptun, Trent, Cosworth (through various factories), Ecosse, Burton, Motobuild (eek), Rippspeed (the real one), Courtney (sorry to swear for all you Vauxhall drivers)). But a real Factory nutter car, like the H.O.T 9-5, and the 405 T16, The Cosworth Sierra/Escort/Saphire (and the MK1 and 2 Escorts that got looked at) at a totally different ball game.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I thought the Alfa was rubbish. There's no point in having 250bhp if you can't transfer it to the road ! Why on earth didn't they give it an LS/Viscous/Torsen diff ?

Reply to
Nom

Seconded. *NOTHING* beats a factory-nutter car.

Reply to
Nom
147 looked horrendous with the TC off. pretty car but a V6 ? no ta, prefer a 4 pot turbo.

Great quote about that god awful citreon thing "trim is okay, but its french so most of it will fall off"

Quite superb.

did anyone else quite like the colour of the A4 cab ? Had a ride in one of these ( 2.4 petrol) on a long trip up north, very nice car. Id buy a porsche instead of that merc.

Reply to
Mark Craft

No: you are going to live forever :)

Cars with an engine bigger than 2liter are taxed into the ground in Italy. I reckon that the 3.2 l Alfa will only be seen on Italian roads if driven by a tourist...

So: calm down, buy some shades and learn to act cool in order to drag the Italian ladies.

Tom

- an Alfa 147 GTA might also help ;) -

Reply to
Tom De Moor

It had traction control. An LSD can have mixed results on a powerful FWD - that was the main criticism of the Focus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yuck. Traction control is no substitute for a proper transmission :)

It can be done - my 620 TI manages just fine with it's TorSen diff.

Reply to
Nom

But some form of electronic stability control would make it better! I have no problems with the electronic system on my 180bhp volvo, or the 250bhp and 280bhp ones I've driven.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Electronic system will only ever reduce power to one or more wheels depending on how sophisticated they are. The alfa is screaming out for 4wd. RWD and no 'leccy gubbins is fine, but FWD and a surfeit of power is slow and frustrating. I will of course state at this point that my soon to arrive VW has the ideal powertrain. Centre TorSen diff and EDL at either end giving the ability to maintain the flow of power to all the wheels with available traction.

Reply to
John Fitzgerald

With a conventional diff, if you brake one wheel the power gets transferred to the other. Of course you are reducing the *overall* power by braking one wheel, but if it prevents wheelspin it's a good trade.

I'm not that keen on LSDs - on a RWD if you break traction especially in the wet there's a good chance you'll go sideways. Or totally loose the steering on a FWD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman