Re: Top Gear....

For front drive electronic control is probably the best option, limiting slip by braking one wheel which makes the diff transfer power to the opposite side, then limiting fuel when grip runs out on both prevents temrinal understeer for the kak-footed.

Why can't I think of a VW that fits your description - must be an older one (or something)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reducing overall power? depends what you mean I suppose, you are 'wasting' some power in a way but you are increasing the amount going to = the road.

They said the alfa had traction control though which implies they just = cut power, anyone know if it brakes individual wheels? I've always wondered how hot = the brakes get on this type of system when you really try hard, I imagine it = could cause pulling or even fade.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

well I saw a 147 today, quite suprised as I didnt think they were out, however it was DAMN sexy in real life and sounded awesome, AND although I only saw it go past me it looked very stable under hard acceleration, the driver was giving it some stick around the corner, and it looked like it handled (ive seen lots of cars take that particular corner much slower.......

there is no way I would choose a four pot turbs over a 3.2 alfa engine that produced more power as standard (tricked up versions aside)

Reply to
Theo

Never noticed any ill effects, i've abused it hard on wet roundabouts - would like to see how it holds up on a wet track but I reckon you'll heat more from braking than from the TC.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

the alfa is 2.5 v6. think about all the weight you have there, relatively low troque figures and how that torque curve is built. 4 pot turbo is a better drivers car.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Doh could of sworn they said 2.5. Ahh well.. In that case isn't 250bhp ( 78bhp per litre ) piss poor output ?

Reply to
Mark Craft

but then it'd need another 50bhp or so to make up for extra transmission losses/weight, so the cost of 4x4 and fine tuning the engine would push it right out of its market...

RWD wont happen because I suspect there isnt enough space in the engine bay to spin the engine around.

Reply to
Mark Craft

And you never will - torque steer is a feature of FWD cars. But it is possible to minimize it's effects - unlike the Focus RS, the TI doesn't squirm all over the road when you plant the throttle.

Exactly that - if you get used to it, then it's a non-issue.

Reply to
Nom

Agreed. Fancy-diff, plus traction control, is the way to go.

You can get away with fancy-diff alone, but traction-control alone is pants.

Reply to
Nom

So as soon as one wheel loses traction, you have NO traction. With a normal diff, traction is dictated by the wheel with the LEAST traction.

It doesn't prevent wheelspin - it contributes to it.

What's the alternative on a FWD car ? Traction control removes heaps of power, and a normal diff results in the Alfa in question.

Precisely why you have a fancy-diff. BOTH wheels have to break traction, in order for bad things to happen.

Reply to
Nom

Reducing overall power? depends what you mean I suppose, you are 'wasting' some power in a way but you are increasing the amount going to the road.

Exactly.

It doesn't.

Reply to
Nom

Agreed on both counts. Which is precisely why should release it just as it is, but with an additional LS/TorSen/Viscous diff...

Reply to
Nom

Nope. High bhp per litre is a BAD thing - it results in f*ck-all torque.

Reply to
Nom

Not in a straight line they were't :) The Alfa beat them in the drag race, so off the lights the alfa would win :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Not true. 300bhp 4 pot turbo 300bhp, 150bhp/litre. It'll also have

280-320lb/ft its the engine is roughly square.

What causes crap torque ( a la VTEC ) is making peak power further away from

5252rpm - e.g. VTECs make peak power at 7500rpm ? if they made their peak power at 6500rpm peak torque would be better.
Reply to
Mark Craft

Dont need a larger engine, go smaller and blown..... 100bhp/litre is then the norm, loadsa torque and doesn't need to be screamed.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Err only the focus was turbo'd and lets face it that thing is crap. I'd like to of seen a chipped Leon Cupra R against the Alfa, better built, only a tad more power but bought and chiped for less than £18k. Would make the alfa look silly.

Reply to
Mark Craft

The Alfa had 250bhp, and a standard Leon is slower, comparing a tuned one is unfair.

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

the alfa is beautiful face it.....

Reply to
Theo

Correct. So by braking that wheel you transfer the drive to the wheel with the better grip.

Nope. It might on ice, but in the worst wet road conditions it works a treat.

Err, regardless of how fancy the diff is, there will come a point when you break traction, unless you have control over the engine output. Or not enough power for this to happen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman