Torque Steer

In the front end swinging from side to side kind of way that makes anyone who was trying to race you from the lights drop back because they have no idea where the f*ck your car is going to end up :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Indeed it is - which is why we got rid of RWD...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Reply to
DanTXD

No. The manufacturers got rid "we" didnt! Because it totally buggers every cars handling but costs less. And most of the idiots cant tell the difference!

Reply to
Burgerman

And rigid rear axles on cart springs?

Suggest you try a RWD car with decent IRS. Plenty around these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RWD is an option for "anyone", it's how much you want it that counts. Mine cost around 3k and is so new it doesn't need an MOT for another 18 months. I had to make it mind ;)

Most people nowadays have never driven RWD so don't know what they're missing ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

It certainly wasn't cheaper when the Mini first appeared. What it does and always will do is give more interior space. Ever see an Austin 1800? More interior space than a Rolls Royce of the day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is there actually a FWD BMW? IS the only FWD Merc that little A class thing? Come to think of it, is there actually a decent car that is FWD?

Reply to
Conor

I can think of loads, but in true style you're all just gonna reply with 'bollocks' or some such useful response, so I'm not gonna bother :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Decent handling FWD cars in no particular order:

MGZT / Rover 75 MINI Alfa 156/159 Toyota Celica VW Corrado VW Golf (II/V) Current Astra / Vectra Lotus Elan Focus / Mondeo Mazda 6

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Behave :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

If you consider what BMW and Merc are turning out to be decent you need more help than any of us ever imagined.

Reply to
Depresion

Well ford claim its cheaper to produce. No seperate diff etc or complex propshaft instalation. But whatever the reason it bolloxes up the cars.

Thats why you dont get front drive motorcycles, ferraris, lambos, f1 cars, dragsters, or anything decent. Because its an awkward handling cockyed engineering bodge that means the cars that are lumbered with it drive shit.

Reply to
Burgerman

Only noticeable after a certain point - 200bhp+ is fine through FWD with a decent chassis setup. I don't think many drivers would actually be able to take advantage of the supposedly better RWD handling on public roads anyway.

Erm. I think there might be another reason for that.... like it's really expensive to do (think about it - how the *hell* would you get drive to the front wheel?)

Expensive, minority interest cars.

Race cars.

Define 'decent'. There's lots of 'decent' FWD cars out there.

Not really, no.

Reply to
SteveH

Well as far as I am concerned there cant be any. Because I only need to drive one about a hundred yards and already I can "feel" the things FWD. By the first junction or turning I want something rear drive. Anything. It just feels so unweildy, unbalanced and it offends my sensibilities!

Sorry but they are all horid.

Yes really. I have driven a lot of cars. Some people dont get it, dont understand, dont drive hard enough or whatever for it to bother them or just dont have enough interest to care.

I would take an old marina van or a vauxhall viva over any front drive car.

Reply to
Burgerman

I have a direct comparison between a RWD Alfa 75 and it's modern day equivalent in the range, the FWD 156. Ultimately, the 156 is so superior in it's chassis set up (quicker steering, sharper turn in, more body control) that any vague hint of the supposed superiority of RWD has been left behind at the first roundabout.

There's no doubt that RWD cars are nice to drive, but for 99% of day to day driving it doesn't matter which end of the car is doing the driving.

Reply to
SteveH

The manufacturers make products for the market, we are the market.

That's a bit extremist at best (complete bollocks at worst).

...and leaves more interior room of course.

Almost right; Most idiots aren't *concerned* about the difference.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

No there aren't. With a few exceptions, there are primarily three main groups of RWD cars available;

  1. Old and shit
  2. Bloated and expensive upper management cars
  3. Supercars

Two of those I'm not interested in, the third is not interested in me.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

That's exactly what I said; it's only an option if you are willing to compromise on your other desires.

I've driven plenty thanks; I learnt to drive in RWD cars - I *love* RWD.

Choosing RWD nowadays though means completely discounting about 95%* of cars on the market.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

!
Reply to