Torque Steer

Probably, I've never been much of a Jag officionado, even when they were "real" Jags ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Nail, hammer, head.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Most reviews appear to lie then - the 200, 600 & 800 can be alarmingly bad when pushed to the limit. The 75 seems _ok_ but I've never driven a quick enough one to get a decent picture. Borrowed a 1.8 once; it was comedy slow so didn't really get taxed too much on the corners...

The Monty & Maestro weren't that bad actually, but the main reason they were so nickable was because the turbo went like stink and had f*ck all security. The normal 2.0MGs could shift reasonably well too.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Original 200s (213 / 216 Honda Ballade) suffered from being dull. Concerto (200/400) would oversteer if you back off mid bend. Bubble 200s are quite neutral, 400s handle really well, especially with the ZS suspension.

600s were kind of dull but competent - not fun but grippy. 75s and ZTs though, they grip like mad, lift of oversteer takes massive amounts of provocation but the handbrake works wonders.

Plus the monty was good for ramraiding - reverse into the window, nothing breaks but the window...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Driving an 827i Auto on the limit is enough to make you repent sins and re-evaluate your life if you get to the end of the journey.

I speak from experience...

Reply to
DanTXD

*snort*
Reply to
DervMan

And touring car drivers.

You're scared of something you don't understand. That's okay.

Reply to
DervMan

Well, 2.5 - bloated and expensive rep mobiles...

Reply to
DervMan

It can be. Most people don't care what end of the car is driven. Almost all modern RWDs are stuffed full of electronics that the percieved advantages are disguised until you're going well over the sanity limit so it's all sadly a bit irrelevant.

Average price of 2005 / 2006 FWDs in my database: £15,056 Average 0 - 62: 11.0 Average maximum speed: 120 mph Average MPG: 43.4 Average insurance group: 8.5

Average price of 2005 / 2006 RWDs: £44,461 Average 0 - 62: 7.6 Average maximum speed: 148 mph Average MPG: 32.8 Average insurance group: 15.7

Looking at "Mondeo" sized cars, all engine sizes, we get:

FWD £20,078

9.5s 132 mph MPG 39.4 IG 11.5

RWD £24,416

8.5s 141 mph 40.9 mpg IG 14.4

Cars 2.0 litres or under...

FWD £18,456

10.0s 128 mph MPG 41.2 IG 10.6

RWD £21,658

9.7s 131 mph 44.2 mpg IG 12.8

Discuss.... :-)

Reply to
DervMan

The proper Kray Brothers/Sweeney S type is still a joyous car.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That clearly shows that RWD is better :)

I'd be interested to see the stats for 4WD for Mondeo sized, and

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That's because they all have Honda, not Rover, suspension.

They do handle pretty well although basically set up for comfort, not sport. BMW design.

They were the last true Leyland designs, and followed on from the Mini etc as being reasonably good handlers in their day. Certainly better than the equivalent Ford or Vauxhall, etc. When the Monty first came out it was my choice when hiring over the Ford or Vauxhall. Not only did it handle better but the 1.6 left those for dead in both performance and economy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yus. Years ago got one - probably an 825 - as a loaner while my then just acquired SD1 was having warranty work done. Apart from the interior it was worse in every possible way. Quite an achievement to make a so called up market car so much poorer than the model it replaced. My main memory was of the Honda auto box being a real clunker which changed gear when you didn't want it to and rarely when you did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And more expensive.

Bit limited on the RWDs I can use though...

AWD £29,258

7.0s 149 mph 29.1 mpg IG 15.6

May be a bit biased at the moment because the Datasheet only includes Audi AWDs...

Reply to
DervMan

Yup, I'd expect RWDs to be quicker and I reckon I can modify my statistics to prove it.

Ummm okay. All years. 2.0 engines, any type.

RWD: 9.4s to 62, PW of 112 FWD: 10.0s to 62, PW of 105 AWD: 9.6 to 62, PW: 111

Hmm. Doesn't really prove it heh.

Same as above but with 1.6 petrol engines...

RWD: 10.8s and PW 97 FWD: 11.0s and PW 104

!ding!

AWD: 12.2s and PW of 80...

Reply to
DervMan

A 17.3% price rise for a 3% improvement in acceleration. Derv are these all wrong fuel cars or do they include TDIs?

Reply to
Depresion

Because like burgerman they don't seem to understand that the vast majority of people don't hoon around. It's nota problem at all in everyday driving because you are well within the limits of the car. Some people are just bigoted about the way they feel this isn't a problem other than in there minds, it's a shame they can't get past it but they will just have to miss out on some cracking cars.

Reply to
Depresion

If you say so. But they all feel crap to me!

Its people like you that allowed the manufacturers to penny pinch and make all the damned cheapo front drive cars that the rest of us have to put up with!

Reply to
Burgerman

Yep it's only a problem if you make it a problem and you chose to. The rest of the world has better things to do with there life than bitch about what end of a car has power going to it. If you don't like the way a car drives you have the option of not driving it but don't for a second think that makes it the problem of the vehicle rather than the driver.

Reply to
Depresion

Nah it's both types - but the

Reply to