OT: News About Dodge's New Charger?

Snagged this from the Mopar group. Thought some in here would be interested. I like the part about a possible return of 383 cubic inch Charger R/T... only this time the 383 will be a hemi. Enjoy the read...

Tried to get some confirmation of specs on the new Charger from > a source at Chrysler. Can't get anything firm - there's a > security blackout on the car. But, based on a hour -long > conversation, I can update my speculation. > > 1) It *is* an LX, and is RWD. It *will* be built at Brampton > Assy. There are *no* plants in Detroit or anywhere within 100 > miles of Detroit that *can* build an LX, even if Chrysler wanted > to. See list further down of nearby North American plants for > list of products. > > 2) The Charger will be Dodge's entry level sedan as well as its > performance sedan, so there will be a base Charger, possibly a > Charger Touring or Charger ES, a Charger R/T, and (later) a > Charger SRT-8. > > 3) The base engine will be the same 2.7L V-6 as in the 300 and > Magnum, with the 3.5L V-6 optional. The 2.7L was originally > developed for the 2000 FWD Sebring and Stratus sedans and the > Sebring convertible. It was put into the base LX to save cost > and allow Chrysler to advertise a very low MSRP. The 3.5L was > originally developed for the 1999 300M and LHS and is the only > engine in the 2004 Pacifica. It costs more than the 2.7L, so it > is optional in the LX, and will be optional in the Charger. The > 300, Magnum, and Charger will get a 4.0L version of the 3.5L V-6 > at some as-yet undetermined date. > > 4) The Charger R/T will use the same 5.7L HEMI as the 300C and > Magnum R/T. The SRT-8 will use the larger HEMI (also, the Magnum > SRT-8), which will show up first in the RAM pickup. As with the > 5.7L HEMI in the LX, the larger engine will be Multiple > Displacement System (MDS), which is *not* available in trucks. > Although I had earlier read that the size of this new engine was > 6.0L, it now appears that it *may* be 6.1L or *may* be 6.3L. > Can't confirm the size. 400HP appears to still be accurate. > > 5) Front and rear doors of the 300 and Magnum are identical. The > basic shape of the fenders of these two cars are so similar as > to be nearly identical. This is what allows Chrysler to put the > 300 front ends on Magnums and sell them in Europe as a 300 Sport > Wagon. The Charger almost certainly will be a standard 4-door > sedan, *not* with suicide doors. It is probable that the C- > pillar/roofline and rear deck will be unique to the Charger and > different than the 300. > > 6) I still can't confirm the correct model year, but here is my > speculation: Assembly plants, like Brampton, send cadres of > personnel to train on a new vehicle to the on-site Pilot Plant > at the Chrysler Technology Center in Auburn Hills, Michigan. > Besides building Pilot Vehicles on hard tooling, the CTC Pilot > Plant is also used to build what are called Program Cars. Some > people call these "prototypes", but that's inaccurate. Program > Cars are built somewhat from soft tooling and somewhat from hard > tooling (such as is available at any given time in the build > schedule) but are built to full design intent. Builds start 15- > 18 months from V-1, and continue for nearly a year as updates > are made during the final stages of vehicle development, based > on test results. Pilot vehicles, begin builds about six months > from V-1. I am only speculating, so everybody please cool your > jets! Barry's buddy from Brampton Assemply Plant *may* be > reporting what he's seeing is a Program Car, not a Pilot Car, > which would mean the Charger will probably be a 2006, as I've > been speculating for some time. My belief is that the Charger > will be shown at the 2005 NAIAS - that's why the security lid is > on, so Chrysler can make a spash at the auto show. > > 7) If I am wrong, and the Charger really is a 2005, then it > *will* be a summer launch. Didn't get that from my source, but I > know enough about new car launches to predict it. Brampton is > *very* busy right now ramping up the Magnum, as well as > continuing a maximum effort on 300's to get cars to dealers. > IMHO, there is *no way* Chrysler is going to put another new car > into that plant until the Magnum is up to full line speed. They > need to sell some Magnums before introducing another new LX. If > the Charger is a 2005, it'll show up in showrooms in September > or so. Again, IMHO. Your mileage may vary. > > Here's a rundown of the nearby Chrysler assembly plants and what > they build: > > - Brampton Assembly Plant, Brampton, Ontario, near Toronto: 300 > and Magnum (and later, Charger) > - Windsor Assembly Plant, Windsor, Ontario, across the Detroit > River from Detroit: Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Caravan > minivans, and Chrysler Pacifica. > - Warren Truck Assembly Plant (Dodge City), Warren, Michigan, > suburb of Detroit: Dodge Ram and Dakota pickups > - Sterling Heights Assembly Plant, suburb of Detroit, Chrysler > Sebring Sedan and convertible and Dodge Stratus sedan > - Jefferson North Assembly Plant, Detroit: Jeep Grand Cherokee > - Toledo 1, Toledo, Ohio, 60 miles south of Detroit: Jeep > Liberty > - Toledo 2: Jeep Wrangler > > Hopefully you will all agree that the Charger just *can't* be > built at any of these plants. Plus, there would be no reason for > a Brampton Assembly Plant employee to be in the CTC Pilot Plant > looking at new Chargers if the car weren't scheduled for BAP. > > Back to the Magnum for a moment, I looked at three large Dodge > dealers in Southeast Michigan just last night. There are *no* > Magnums yet. Brampton is building about 350 per day and they are > still in quarantine, but I expect to see a few cars at dealers > in a couple of weeks, plenty by June 1. Brampton has to supply > something like 3,000 Dodge dealers, so it takes a while. See why > I think the Charger *can't* be ready to launch right now? > > *None* of what I've said is confidential. If I *knew* any > confidential stuff about the Charger, which I clearly do not, I > wouldn't tell you anyway, right? > > DC

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Cool stuff. Thanks, Patrick.