Re: '78 280 Z - wheels info wanted

050505020702040300030305 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

See:

Plus Size

and

Wheels make the car

Phil Sharkey
050505020702040300030305

Stock wheels for my 77 were Toyo 195/70SR14. I don't suppose any other options were offerd at the time. You can get by with 14 inch 205 or 215/60 series. 50 series probably in a 15 inch. The faster the speed rating, the harder they ride.

greg

Reply to
gregs

Yes, stock wheels were 195/70-14 on the 1977 280Z. There was (I believe) at least one optional mag wheel (maybe more than one), but I think that they were 14 inchers. You could run any of many plus sizes without any fit or spedo trouble, including 205/65-15, 225/55-16 and maybe even 235/45-17. Be sure to get a "zero-ofset" wheel however. Most wheels that you see today are fro front wheel cars and SHOULD NOT BE USED on a rear wheel car like a Z.

Best,

Phil

Reply to
Phil Sharkey
15" Rim will work fine, you use those off later turbo Z if you want to remain with a factory rim, you can also fine some 16" minilite wheels made with the proper offset (about $225 a piece) with the larger rims you do have to watch out when selecting some of the fatter tires (225) as they may contact the inside of the wheelwell on hard turns - a possible solution is to place a baseball bat between the tire & fender & gently roll it along the tire tread - slightly flaring the fender as you go... be careful doing this though

Walter L>I am a new Z-car owner. I love my '78 280 Z.

Reply to
John Wesley Sheehan Jr.

Reply to
Walter Lindley