96 Sentra, re: Need advice on replacing right axle boot

Sorry. This is the same message as an earlier one I posted. However, I forgot to complete the subject message line above. Anyway, here is the message again in its entiretyl

My 96 Sentra GXE has a torn right axle boot. I have two questions with regard to changing it out:

  1. Is there a anything I should know about taking the axle out of the transaxle?

  1. Can I take the outer cv joint off at the end of the shaft to take off the boot? Is there any major trick to taking the joint off. I have a shop manual, but it provides very little informaiton on this process.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
alkon

If you have the factory service manual, the axle shaft removal should be well described. It's a straightforward process. You just need to be a bit careful disconnecting the ball joint and definitely do not overtorque the ball joint when reassembling it. Given the age on the vehicle you might consider replacing the whole axle shaft with a re- manufactured one. It saves time and quality re-mans are often pretty reasonably priced. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

You *can* remove the outer CV joint and repair the damage, but it's a lot more work. A new or rebuilt axle is the right choice for most.

If you're a DIYer, go online to raxles.com and read their stuff. They're recommended on this newsgroup and others. I'll be ordering a pair from them soon. HTH

JM

Reply to
DemoDisk

One major trick may be that you won't get the axle nut off unless you've got a 32mm deep socket handy - a standard 1/2" drive 32mm socket probably wont fit over the end of the axle stub far enough to grip the nut.

Reply to
frederick