help with 84 300zx heater core

I already posted this in the z-car newsgroup, but decided to post here also as this group is more active.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to replace the heater core in a

84 300zx with a/c. The nissan service manual is no help at all (the section covering heating and a/c is almost exclusively a/c related) and the chilton manual (yes I know how bad chilton manuals can be, but it is actually more detailed then the nissan manual) says that I need to disconnect the a/c hoses and take the whole assembly out to get to the heater core. God I hope that the chilton manual is wrong!! Does anyone have any insight on the matter (Steve T?).

I also am not sure but it looks like there may be hoses inside the cabin going from the firewall to the heater core. If so, how in the hell are you supposed to get to them and what a stupid design? I hope I'm wrong on the interior hoses.

Thanks in advance, Keith

Reply to
Keith

It's a real mother of a job. The heater box is the first thing you install when assembling the dash area. The whole dash etc has to come completely out of the car etc etc.

It's not.

It lasted >20 years... The hoses still aren't the problem and replacing the heater core on most cars is a =MAJOR= PITA.

You aren't and you should order new hoses to replace them while you're doing the heater core. I also wouldn't play around with aftermarket heater cores as hard as this one is to replace but that's your call.

Sorry for the bad news. I've done them several times in the past and it's a good 2 day job for a Pro. And I'd just as soon never have to do another!

Reply to
Steve T

Amen! In 4 years I only had to do 1... and I'm still going through therapy. ;-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck