Radio settings repeatedly dropped

I've got a 2000 Maxima GLE. Over the last couple of years, my radio settings would magically disappear on occasion. Both the CD and cassette would simply be spit out when I went to start the car and my stations would be gone. This is now happening regularly (daily). Any idea what might be going on?

TIA, David

Reply to
David Schwartz

How old is your battery? The voltage could be dropping too low on starting.

Reply to
JimV

Even though all other electrical devices are working properly?

Reply to
David Schwartz

I believe he meant the temporary voltage drop while cranking the engine to start it. Often, if voltage drops below certain levels, the radio memory will be erased. This has happened to me with other vehicles.

Reply to
My Name

In response to this post, I went and had a brand new battery installed (I was still using the original 7yr old battery, after all). All was well re the station presets until today when the old behavior surfaced again.

Any thoughts what the issue might be at this point?

TIA, David

Reply to
David Schwartz

Make sure that the battery and radio ground connections are ok. The service manual will show you where to find the ground connections for the radio harness.

Measure the voltage at the radio fuse when cranking the engine.

Reset the radio fuse, pulling it in and out. Do the same to the radio harness.

It could also be that one of the filter capacitors inside the radio is defective and causing a voltage drop.

Good luck

David Schwartz wrote:

Reply to
AS