An inconvenient Truth (OT)

Actually, (in this case) Mike is closer to the mark than you.

He described (though crudely) the effects of a Hadley Cell.

Toss in the Coriolis (turntable) effect and bingo, areas of high and low pressure are created etc.

JT

(Minor was meteorology)

John Poulos wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire

Whether Green is an erroneous transcription of Grunt

Well, today, if all the ice and snow ever did melt on Greenland, most of it would be under water. Centuries of accumulated ice cover has compressed the land surface to below sea level.

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

The Ozone hole is still there and it comes and goes seasonally. DuPont got their new patent on R134 and got R12 banned, so the capitalistic stars are still in alignment. Notice I said 'you all' as I tend to lump people into groups (like the group here, for example...) I didn't say that with disgust.. More a humorous gesture. We collect crap to excess and then complain about excess of crap I'll invest the hour and a half to watch that film right after the thing comes on the Oxygen Channel on cable TV. Jeff

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Please remind me when it airs, so I can undelete that channel from my DirecTV directory.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Get real, the temperature of the fresh water ICE, by definition must be below 32 degrees. A glacier is merely a extremely slow moving river of frozen chunks of ice that sloofs off, or thaws at it end where it flows like any river, into the ocean. Most glacier generally move faster and melt sooner when the ice, accumulating up stream in the glacier, THICKENS and become heavier, causing the end to move more quickly into the warmer ocean. In nature if a glacier melts to the point its terminus is on land, the melting process is greatly slowed until, it once again reaches the ocean. When ice, already in the water, melts it LOWERS the level of the water, it does not raise the level (Fill a glass with water and ice to its brim, and see for yourself)

The global warming folks will not tell you but in Ant-Arnica the ice flows, from the glaciers that extend far out into the ocean, are breaking off, not because of melt but because for the past ten years the ice load on the land is thickening. The level of the ocean has dropped a foot and a half since the sea level was marked by the first explorers to that continent.

Radiant heat could only effect the surface temperature. The pressure at the bottom of 1000 feet of ice will raise the melting point of water by one atmosphere, 14.9 PSI or one degree. Neither is enough to melt the ice with an ambient temperature generally below ZERO. Even if what you believe to be true, were true, the water resulting would instantly refreeze, much like when salt is added to ice in an ice-cream maker. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My post was directed to the discussion within the, group not to you or anybody else in particular. I would not even try to enlighten someone who is not yet willing or able to comprehend the basics, BYE, BYE. ;)

HINT; generally all winds blow from west to east and rotate counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and east to west and clockwise in the southern. Conclusion ____________?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Tell that to National Geographic, they believe otherwise. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

When it 'airs'.. That's a good one! Maybe it will be on the Carbon Dioxide Channel?

"Lee Aanderud" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

One must speak simply, for simple people to understand. Besides when I do teach a school I get paid extremely well. ;)

mike hunt

Mike Hunter

JT, with a minor in meteorology, you surely know that ocean water temp is the fuel for hurricane and cyclones as should our teacher Mike. The Hadley cell has to do with solar heating and the Coriolis effect only sets the rotational direction of big storms. Both are pretty constant as long as we assume the earth will keep spinning. There is no disagreement that the earth is warmer then it has been in 400 years, thus the glaciers and ice sheets are melting faster. We can disagree about mankinds effect on the process, but talking about the earth rotation and subtle and constant factors like those two effects only serves to educate me on what the hell they are. I'll leave it at that, and won't comment further since we're just wasting bandwidth. BTW, talking about weather we've had 12 inches of rain in a few hours, a new record here.

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

John Poulos

As with all things liquid, there is a delay with regard to ocean temperatures and reaction time. Such delays can be illustrated by the El Nino and La Nina events. We were in La Nina last summer, (cool Pacific sea temps and hot "Gulf/Atlantic temps). La Nina is going away and by next year we could be in a full El Nino event which nearly results in low occurence of tropical storms in the Atlantic.

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire

The administration isn't the government, it's just part of it. There are thousands of bureaucrats who figure that administrations come and go, but they are there forever and will do what they think is right.

Being that these are government employees they tend to be liberal and support a big government agenda (not that the current administration has done a damn thing to keep down the size of government).

If enough people get convinced that global warming is real, and we are a major cause of it that will lead to more government spending, more government control, and more job security for them.

Am I cynical? Yep, comes from paying attention for too long.

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Jeff DeWitt

When the sun runs out of gas it will grow and envelop the earth, and all of our Studebakers will become sparks in a solar blaze. So I am not wasting any time. I am grinding on my Studebaker and making it spark now... Jeff (Because I am the impatient type..) Rice

"John Poulos" wrote..

Jeff Rice

Or maybe not...

That is a LONG time from now, and if we are still around maybe we can refuel the Sun.

We would need a fleet of Brussard Drive Scoopships to fly around collecting interstellar hydrogen and then a way to get that hydrogen into the sun, perhaps by then we can build something like a Star Trek transporter and beam the hydrogen into the sun.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

The conclusion is that the rotation of the earth has an effect on the rotation of wind movement. It has nothing to do with forming the wind in the first place, which is what John said.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

according to my old high school teacher, it was named that, so that those looking on the map would travel THERE, and leave ICELAND alone, for those in the know, KNOWING it was a far more hospitable place to live, than solid ice..located all over Greenland time they got there, they would not have the necessarily supplies TO return, or travel on to Iceland --Shiva--

Reply to
me

plus the ocean level would rise 21 feet.. so they figured out recently.. cause its MELTING PRETTY FAST right now --Shiva--

Reply to
me

And one must accept simple solutions without questioning them in order to speak simply and wrongly at the same time. The page clearly point out that the basic cause of wind is the suns energy, which heats the air and causes it to rise. Cooler air rushes in to replace that air. In other words, "contrasts in temperature" which is what John said.

Alex Magdaleno

That's the geekiest thing I've read in a long time,

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

The administration and their henchmen are in charge of all branches of governement and puts cronies at the head of goverment agencies such as the FCC. FDA,, FEMA, etc. You can be sure they would and have come down hard on any bureaucrats who tell a truth they don't want to hear.

Alex Magdaleno