OT: Bottled Water Tax?

Useage tax. Billary will create one, it will be federal and will be taxed upon the mfg which means it will be passed on down to YOU.

Reply to
dbu`

Damn right. Have you seen Supersize me. We are creating a generation of fat kids with diabetes. Market forces at work. Sin taxes make sense. Why should non smokers for example,2 have to foot the bill for some addicts emphysema?

F.H.

California: The Golden State at the forefront of what some call waste diversion and what everyone else calls recycling.

California's 36.5 million residents generated 92.2 million tons of trash last year. But only 42.2 million tons of it landed in the state's

240-odd landfills. The rest was turned into new stuff -- ranging from soda cans to playground equipment to garden mulch.
Reply to
F.H.

Here in California we do well with recycling. However...., there is

*one* element that *never* seems to get mentioned. Kids sports teams, soccer, baseball etc., throw plastic water bottles in the trash half or three quarters full. Sometimes, someone will come by and pick up the plastic to recycle for money (currently 0.89 lb here) but if not these bottles wind up buried at the local landfill with the water still in them. It adds up.
Reply to
F.H.

Yep. And, as I pointed out to dbu, there are areas where the local recycles can't handle any more than they're already receiving. So, the municipality can't always find a market for its recyclable plastic.

Reduction must come first.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Recycle your plastics?

Reply to
GoMavs

That is false and a lie.

Reply to
GoMavs

Cathy, you are such an ignorant follower.

The reason it has to be bottled is because the person drinking it wants it to be bottled. They like the crisp clean taste vs tap water. You don't like that? To bad.

Reply to
GoMavs

That is completely false. Anyone can tell the difference between purified bottle and tap.

I personally don't have a

Of course you don't.

Reply to
GoMavs

Sorry dbu. Call me a dick or what you will but I don't see how you put up with her constant responses to you. She could read that putting a 50 thousand dollar tax on having a baby is a good thing and agree with it.

Some "progressive" people are progressive at any cost and will agree to just about anything considered "progressive.

Reply to
GoMavs

Of course I know. It's fun to play the game for a while till I get bored.

Reply to
dbu`

I have to agree. In 99% of North America, north of the Rio Grande, there is no practical reason for HAVING to buy bottled water. Municipal supplies are much more highly regulated than are the bottlers of bottled water. Bring on a ONE HUNDRED per cent tax on ALL bottled water, I say. It is a tax on the vain, the stupid, the ignorant and pretentious yuppies.

Reply to
sharx35

Bullshit. Pepsi recently announced that TAP water was the ONLY ingredient in their brand of bottled water.

Reply to
sharx35

I have a reason to buy it. I buy it because I like it. But if were going to start at taking away things people don't need, then let's not stop at bottled water.

P.S. Our city, Plano, Tx, gives large recycle bins to each house. We recycle everything here. The city sells the recycled goods and pays for the trash program.

Reply to
GoMavs

Bottled water is often tap water barring you get a water from spring. However, that water is purified. You can taste the difference in purified water and tap water. Especially in Texas in August. I cannot stand the taste of the water here as the algae blooms in the lakes.

Reply to
GoMavs

That sound like a damn GOOD idea. The world is already overpopulated.

Reply to
sharx35

P.T. Barnum was right--there IS a sucker born every minute and ANYONE who believes that bottled water, on average, is ANY better than tap water, on average, in most of Canada and the U.S., is just such a sucker, falling for the hype of the bottled water manufacturers/distributors.

Reply to
sharx35

Looks like California could burn the bottles to get the electricity it needs

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Some water is absolutly horrid to drink, but yet it is safe to drink. I would not drink water that is horrid to drink even though it was safe unless I had nothing else to drink.

Reply to
dbu`

I agree, however some water actually stinks but yet is safe. I would rather go and buy some cheap bottled water than drink some of the slop tap water in some places.

Reply to
dbu`