OT Hachi/snowthrowers

Hey! Westfield Home Depot has Ariens snowthrowers. I didn't have much time to browse because I was there for something else. They *look* like smaller units than what you want. I turned a few price tickets over. $499 and $699.

I have a cement driveway and I have a big problem with sunlight not melting the snow fast enough. My 10 hp snowthrower is over-kill for the light dustings we were getting. And when it does snow heavy I have to contend with packed down tire tracks. I'm tempted into looking at the electric shovel/thrower. I wonder how well it does with slush because icing/freezing over is my biggest problem.

Reply to
mark digital©

and they work great. NEVER a problem starting. (The larger one is electric start). The smaller one is light enough to use as a shovel if you need to even though it has wheels. They will clean down to bare concrete even in heavy slush. The power to weight ratio for the user is remarkable. I use them for small areas where large equipment can not, and I don't care how deep the snow or slush is, it just takes a little longer for really heavy frozen stuff. On a wooden outdoor deck the rubber thrower paddles will vibrate the icy stuff loose and throw it off easily. Highly recommended IMHO. As far as packed tracks, if they freeze in, a snow blade on a truck has a difficult time with those as well.

Reply to
user

-------- Arthritis in my hip joint and a torn meniscus.

Reply to
mark digital©

One might suspect you have a bigger problem with the 'cement' washing away with the melting ice. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Do you have any *concrete* evidence of this? ;)

Reply to
mark digital©

Screw the carbon footprint and get a two stage snowblower, your body comes before big al's global warming BS. My eight HP throws snow 30 to

40 feet. If you live somewhere that only gets very light snow fall and your driveway is not too long, (mine is 70 feet) the little electic (115 vac) snowpups work pretty good on 3 -4 inch snow.
Reply to
dbu,

My wife bought me an electric snow shovel/thrower, it was useless on anything more than a dusting.

Reply to
Ray O

I have one of those, too! I use it for under 3". Paid $40 through an ad in the local paper. Saw one at Aubuchon's for $299!!!!

It works well, but your electric bill goes up ~$3 every time you use it. Well, I have a HUGE driveway, YMMV...the biggest problem for me is the cord. I have to tie 2 50' ext cords together to hit some parts of the driveway.

See if you can find a used one. They are pretty good!

And thanks for the tip! I went back to Home Depot today. I don't know HOW it happened but I lost the release off my compressor for the drain, and had to try to find a new one. The snowblower was back! One use, and it needed repair! Hmmmm....

I also bought a 5HP Ariens off E-Bay for $60. Had to drive 130 miles one way to get it. I was going to use it for parts for the one I already have... reverse that! Thing's in MINT condition!

Perhaps I'll have the Gfld store call Westfld. $699 sounds like the 9HP unit they had here.

Reply to
Hach

At 50 YO, with almost 1/4 mile of driveway, I think I'll stick to the blower. And, IIRC, Mark is a little older than I am...

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

After reading about Al's $30,000 utility bill, screw that! He outputs more CO2 and other greenhouse gasses in one MONTH than I do in an entire year!

Do as I say, not as I do, right?

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

Mine is 21X60 with ample area on either side to throw it to. I've got the outlet for it too.

Reply to
mark digital©

By only three years. I blew out my knee lifting a 25 cu.ft refrigerator. I siphoned a lot of leaded gasoline in my time too. Hence the arthritis.

Reply to
mark digital©

I just blow it onto my neighbors driveway :)

He could care less about his "carbon footprint" eiither.

Reply to
dbu,

Well, a real right wing neocon couldn't possibly step out on the driveway without this baby:

Please forward a test drive review after you try it out

Reply to
tak

And I suppose you use renewable energy, like he does?

Jeff

betcha it won't blow snow any farther than my 8 HP.

Reply to
dbu,

How long does it take you do it? If takes 2 kW (about 20 A), and your electricity cost 30 cents per kWH, then it would take you using it 10 hours to use $3 worth of electricity.

You can also buy a 100' cord.

Just buy a lawn tractor that can take a snow thrower. I think you can buy one for around $3000. But a good one costs around $6000. Better yet, get a Series 3520 John Deere with a heated cab and a snow thrower. Just $30k. It would take about 10 minutes to do the driveway, including the neighbors on both sides.

When I win the lottery, I will get one for my winter home.

Jeff Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

How does leaded gasoline cause arthritis?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure you blow with the best of 'em

Reply to
tak

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If I had the snow problems (and attendant expenses) of you fellows, I'd think seriously about moving to a warmer climate. (I grew up in Buffalo NY and NYC, and learned to despise snow the way some people despise Islamists.)

From sunny Southern California ...near Palm Springs.

(Ok, Ok, in summer our electric bills are through the roof. for air conditioning.)

Reply to
mack