OT I agree 100 percent!

A tip of the hat to badgolferman for passing this link to me.

I was boiling at the grocery store yesterday. Why the hell do you have to select a language when using your Bank Card?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Listen to the lady. "when you reach our shores, you should speak our language, not the one you spoke before". What a stupid bitch.

Plenty of foreign countries have signs in multiple languages. It's good for business.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How in the hell could some fool that bet a half million dollars and lost call anyone stupid?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

In message news:wMQki.11871$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, JoeSpareBedroom sprach forth the following:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

I'm *hoping* she means to begin to -learn- the language, once in the U.S.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Overall, struck me as rather arrogant & insular.

Jeez, you have a low boiling point, IMO.

What I wish: for credit/debit card readers to be universal - or reasonably so - in their design. Some - hit "credit" first, then swipe. Others, swipe, then find the correct button. "Find", because they're rarely in the same spot on any two machines. Most - the cashier knows if you hit credit or debit whereas others - you have to verbally tell him/her, even after punching it in. Some, sign the paper receipt, some - don't sign the receipt if under $20, others - sign right on the machine. And if your left-handed, hope the cord attaching the stylus to the machine is attached in the middle, not on the right side.

That's my mini-rant for the day. Or maybe week.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I imagine that you did not like your world history class very much since your an American.

Reply to
EdV

What did your friends tell you about the English classes you skipped?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Since where on this subject where can you buy a left handed can opener?

Reply to
EdV

No quoted post or attribution, but since I mentioned being left-handed, I assume this is a reply to my post. Going back & looking at the "Show all messages" view... yep. So was that out-of-left field history lesson post.

I don't know. The only items I own that are specifically for lefties are scissors.

However, I'd guess that Googling it would bring one up.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

With the state of tecnology, you would think it would be embeeded to the car as to whether you want English or Chinese, so when you swipe the card, the correct language is selelcted.

And it wouldn't have to be limited to English or Spanish. It's not that hard to have Japanese, etc come up after the card is swiped.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I didn't skip english class, my english teacher was HOT! well my 5th grade that is and not the rest.

anyway the point is, having multiple languages in an ATM is not being unamerican.

Visit Thailand, or HongKong and you'd have a hard time ordering food in the restaurant if it didnt have pictures on the menu. Then again its hlaf the fun trying to tell them want you want and still end up getting the wrong one.

Reply to
EdV

It frightens people who have a dislike for education. Scott, for instance.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Wal-Mart, they are called electric can openers. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have always been fond of different cultures. I enjoy going to Chinatown in San Francisco and New York, I watch the Latin American parade, I tried Amish foods in Pennsylvania last long weekend, When I went to China I promised myself I wouldn't eat at McDonalds but tried it once since they serve Seafood Nooodle Soup with a Big Mac Meal. But I still chear USA in the Olympics.

Reply to
EdV

Nice.

Bet it goes right over his head.

Reply to
witfal

I was right.

Reply to
witfal

I have no idea we're you can go to purchase the item your looking four.

Reply to
witfal

Doesn't bother me half as much as it would if traffic signs were in two languages.

Reply to
mark digital©

Hear about the kid that told his Dad he had sex with his math teacher last week? Dad said, how did you like it? Pretty good by my A$$ is still sore. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter