OT I agree 100 percent!

And you're a fascist idiot. That's also a fact.

Reply to
ToMh

In the past somehow they seemed to have acclimated without the overwhelming help we give them today. My opinion is they do better if they do it on their own. If they want to come to America they have to learn english. Under adversity humans flourish even more.

Reply to
dbu,.

My mother at 91 still speaks fluent Polish, especially when she is angry, then you better watch out, LOL.

Reply to
dbu,.

There are quite a few around.

Reply to
dbu,.

Fecking pussy LIEbrawls. HOPING just doesn't cut it. In as similar vein, here in Canada, it should be MANDATORY for immigrants to be reasonably functional, in reading, writing and speaking either French or English....Canada's 2 official language. NOTE: here in Canada, Hindi, Cantonese, Mandarin etc are NOT official languages.

Reply to
sharx35

AArgh...that sounds too LIEbrawl!!

Reply to
sharx35

Well, EdV, that is might white of you.

Reply to
sharx35

No doubt, you would hobble home afterwards and wack your tiny tack? ROFL.

Reply to
sharx35

I used to have an ORAL French course in Grade 9. Not written, not....but ORAL. Heh, back then the joke was lost.

Reply to
sharx35

What do you think happens to us English speakers when we travel to a whole LOT of countries? It is OUR responsibility to make ourselves understood, NOT the responsibility of ANYONE else in the country that we are visiting...or otherwise newly arrived in. YOU LIEbrawls always try to make YOUR problem, the problem of everyone ELSE. You LIEbrawls should brush up on taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for yourselves.

Reply to
sharx35

cmere and say that to my face....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That isn't the nature of liberals. They need victims...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

As an older adult, my father (half German) started wishing that he'd paid more attention to his grandparents' use of German when he was little, instead of blowing it off. He had absorbed a smattering of it, but wasn't fluent. So... he took a course in German when in his mid-60's, before my parents went to Germany for a vacation; that did bring him up to speed - enough to be able to carry on conversations while in Germany.

Just 10 -12 years ago I used to go to a Polish bakery where I was sometimes the only one who spoke/ordered in English. In those instances I was also youngest one (mid- 40's) there, & the other customers tended to be one generation older. *However*, this doesn't automatically infer that the older generation *couldn't* speak English, only that they preferred to use Polish when among others of their own generation & country of origin. Perhaps they spoke English in other venues, perhaps they didn't... Prob. some did, some didn't. I never asked; I just purchased yummy baked goods. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

The means by which one gets help now is not the same as it once was. Plus all of the red tape to wade though. Wading through it in a native language would be difficult enough, w/o the added burden of not knowing the language yet.

My opinion is they do better if

I never said they shouldn't. But there *is* a learning curve involved. One doesn't step onto US soil & miraculously become fluent in the first week!

Something tells me that many of these people are already well-acquainted with adversity, hence their move to the U.S.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Official Language is totally different from having other languages in an ATM.

. NOTE: here in Canada, Hindi,

Reply to
EdV

You really should break down & do something with that Caps Lock key - it seems to have a long-standing sticking problem.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"sharx35"

*calling Mrs. Sharx and letting her know he's at it again, and she has work to do*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Personally, I think the poor woman barely manages to tread water.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

'oral' work?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Sounds like you're a bit light on your knowledge of speech development vs. age.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom