OT - JSB - what do ya' think of...

The last two elections were virtually perfect predictors of stupidity. 54% was the majority for Bush's first election, if I recall. Not precisely sure about the 2nd train wreck, folks.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But the two figures don't match. The percentage people who think scarves are okay but crosses are to be banned is 100%.

Reply to
witfal

Where was this?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Amazing. Strickland was interviewed on the street, and actually made it into a video. He's the 5th male shown.

Which one are you?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm not on there, but I'd agree with the guy who said "France".

Reply to
witfal

During 2006, many public school districts across the U.S. instituted a ban on the wearing of crosses. Ridiculous things such as students at lower grammar school levels, such as kindergarten, being suspended over a gun-shaped charm on a bracelet happened with regularity. Zero tolerance, you know. One male child was suspended after pointing a chicken wing at a classmate and saying "bang". A girl was suspended for having a plastic picnic knife in her lunchbox for eating purposes.

All this "worthwhile" effort being exerted, while students still can't write a proper sentence or read beyond the second grade level. Don't you read?

Reply to
witfal

Sounds like a lot of people learned nothing from Martin Luther King. The day after a crucifix ban, 500 kids should've showed up wearing them. Big, gaudy cardboard ones covered with foil or glue-on sparkles.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In theory, not a bad idea, but why be ludicrous when you're combatting the ludicrous?

Reply to
witfal

Because that's the best way sometimes. In the past, you seem to have said that nothing else works. Parents are helpless before the awesome power of school administrators.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd rather send them all packing. The trouble is that, IMO, over 90% of parents haven't got a clue as to how the system works, don't care, or both.

Reply to
witfal

Kids understand shock and awe. Let them handle it. That's how my son and his classmates got a math teacher "reoriented". Did I tell you about that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe. Refresh my memory.

Reply to
witfal

Mental retardation firmly established. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply to
F.H.

Who said we were a nation in decline. Why...., genius's abound.

Reply to
F.H.

Being groomed for the fascism of tomorrow? Right on schedule for the New World Order.

Reply to
F.H.

1) Open house for parents: Teacher reads script and says "I'm always happy to help the kids after school if they need it". 2) Son comes home pissed off because he got below a 90 on a test, and says he needs a few things explained differently. The teacher says "I have no time. Read the textbook". My son read the textbook. 3) I suggested a petition, since he didn't want me to speak to the teacher. Two days later, I get a call from the school, saying my son's in the principal's office for the heinous crime of circulating a petition among classmates, many of whom were equally disgusted with the teacher. This was an honors math class, not a bunch of slackers like dbu. 4) One of the kids in trouble was the granddaughter of the former superintendent, also known as The Hellhound. Still active in school affairs, to the dismay of lesser beings. She comes to school for a conference with the principal. She must've explained that the CUSTOMERS were not happy. The kids and their parents are CUSTOMERS. 5) Next day, the math teacher is gone. The day after that, he's back. My son says "It seems someone put new batteries in the teacher. He's suddenly very helpful".

End of problem.

It's always good to raise hell in school. Sublety does not work.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Excellent. Too bad the California system doesn't make it easier to rid itself of tenured "teachers". We usually just wait until a teacher does heinous things for a few years, then fire them. Like after molesting students and ignoring complaints about it for three or four years.

Reply to
witfal

elitism (î-lêtîz´em) noun:

  1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
  2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class. b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.
Reply to
F.H.

There's a tenure system here. But, we're New Yorkers, not sheep, and the administrators know it. The former superintendent does things the old timey way, too, which is why she's called back into service by lots of districts around here when they need someone to fill in while they search for a new superintendent. She takes no guff from anyone.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm not sure how elitism relates to this discussion of how to handle an incompetent teacher. Do you think my son and his classmates expected special treatment?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom