Walmart Super Tech Filters

I recently cut open a Walmart Super Tech filter that I used on my 2002 Sienna. It was the 3641 filter. It's anti draw-back valve sits on a cardboard (or some sort of fiberboard) endcap to the filter. This looked very similar to the Fram design that has been bashed so much. I know that Champion makes these filters (I confirmed it with a telephone call to Champion). I can't speak to the other filters they make, but this one did not impress me. The Purelator filters have metal endcaps and it seems a better design. Just posting this FYI. It was a surprise to me. I had read that the Super Tech filters were such a bargain.

Reply to
jim

Since Wal-Mart's targets price-sensitive customers, I do not expect any Wal-Mart branded automotive products to be anything but the cheapest possible choice. Since I change my oil myself, I splurge and pay the extra $2.00 for an OEM filter, even though it costs an extra 6 hundredths of a cent more per mile over 3,500 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

Good advice, I personally like Fram, because I'll pay the extra few cents for the textured end. I hate fighting with a filter, and navigating at the same time a hot exhaust.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

You were probably using the new SuperTech 'ECore' Filter. There is a huge raging debate going on at bobistheoilguy.com about thew new ST design, which is supposed to make used filters Eco-Friendly. The older ST filters are good filters, so I stocked up on them before they are completely discontinued.

Here's a link to a threat there where someone cut open a new Ecore filter after 4000 miles.

Once I run on of ST filters, I will just use NAPA/Wix Gold. Cheap insurance.

Fram Filters are complete junk. General concenscence at BITOG.

jim wrote:

Reply to
mike.frankl

While you're at it, avoid their tire and lube "service" too. My filter cap popped off while I was *driving*! The car, of course, ground to a halt. I called those brain donors, and *made them come out* to fix it. I'm just lucky I was only driving through town, because I'd just used it on the highway a few days before then. *shudder* That was my last time dealing with their auto department. I take it to the dealer for regular maintenance now.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

My toyota dealer delivered my car ready to drive after an oil change with oil gushing from the running engine.

Reply to
Art

That's cuz everybody hates you, Art

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Reply to
ronbon

Don't be swayed by who makes the filters. There are relatively few companies in the world that make all the filters for everyone, and they all make different filters with varying degrees of quality (and cost).

Even thought the $2.50 Orange Fram filters are of dubious quality, Fram also makes a different filter that is excellent if you willing to pay the $10 they charge for it.

Reply to
Mark A

I don't know if he did this, but copping an attitude before someone begins working on your car is like insulting the waiter and chef before they prepare your meal... For some reason, they always have problems.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Mark Schofield

Typical Toyota response..... blaming a customer for a Toyota or Toyota service failure.

Reply to
Art

Art, I have nothing against you. Please re-read my post. I did not blame you, and I specifically posted "I don't know if he did this..."

I just pointed out that one would be better off giving your service provider the benefit of the doubt.

I have called on some excellent service departments that really try to do things right the first time and keep their customers happy, and I have called on some that I would not recommend to anyone I knew. Both good and bad service departments serviced other brands, like Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda, Lexus, VW, BMW, MB, etc.

Reply to
Ray O

You certainly implied it dispite your disclaimer. By the way, this was one of my 2 great 83 tercel 4WD wagons that they left with an ill fitting plug/washer combo. And they were darn lucky that I was more observant than their typical customer, otherwise they would have been buying me a new engine. Quite frankly, even if a customer came in with an attitude, a dealership would have no business doing such shoddy work. This incident and other shoddy work by the same dealership was why I stopped buying Toyotas between 1984 and 2000. I gave them another shot with my 2001 Avalon. No service problems with that car but of course I didn't think much of the car itself. So far my wife is happy with her Accord hybrid and my Odyssey is great. The only complaint with the Accord is missing features like auto locking doors and auto headlights (yes we knew when we bought it but we still miss those features in a $30k car) and inadequate detents to hold the doors half open.

Reply to
Art

Art, for once, could you please... SHUT... THE HELL... UP!!!!

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

You've been here long enough to know that is not my style to call people names, but I apologize because I can see how my post might be mis-interpreted.

By the way, this was one

No argument from me there. I just pointed out that the realities of the service business (whether automotive or restaurant or whatever) mean that the person providing the service may not always provide the proper service to customers who give them a hard time.

This incident and

As I mentioned before, every automaker has good and bad dealers. Fortunately, you found one that sells cars that you are happy with.

As far as whether a $30 k car should have certain features, IMO, standard features are a matter of cost and consumer demand. I think that the automakers have gotten into what I call accessory inflation and consumers have come to expect more features that used to be found in high end cars in lower and middle end cars.

I remember commercials where the dealer used to advertise that a car had a radio, heater, and whitewalls. AC, cruise control, power windows, power door locks, and electric power mirrors are now available on entry level cars and standard on just about everything else. Heated seats, GPS, traction and stability control, and leather are commonplace on upper middle market ($30-$40K) cars, and I suspect that laser cruise control and cooled seats will start to appear there next.

Reply to
Ray O

If you are really too stupid to figure it out, I will find you a link on how to filter posts you don't like from your newsreader.

Reply to
Art

And if you are really too stupid to figure it out, I will find you a link on how to unsubscribe from this newsgroup. If you're going to keep bashing Toyota, save your cyber-breath and just leave.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

To be fair, he's not the only one who does that.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I know, but unlike those few others, I think Art tended to exaggerate the extent to which his Avalon was crap. From what I gathered from his posts, they seemed to be mostly fit and finish issues. And perhaps his dealer was just incompetent.

His remark to Ray about a "typical Toyota response to a Toyota failure" is far from the truth anyway. I'm sure you, like the other sensible folks here, know that Toyota works to fix problems, and that the big 3 are likely to blame owners for their problems.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit