OT Rattling windowpanes and disrupting pacemakers 8 blocks away...

THE JEEP OF MASS DESTRUCTION ROARED TO LIFE ONCE AGAIN!!! WOOOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

I think we should start a pool on how long it lasts this time.

Randy

RSMEINER

Go for it. It'll make it more interesting. I don't plan on stopping thrashing it like a red-headed step-child, so I predict I'll break something *FAST*. With the extra power I should have from all of those performance stickers all over it, something just give way within a week or two at most. WOOOT WOOOT!!! It's all a part of the fun. PLACE YER BETS!!!

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

...............If you wanted that scoop to actually be functional, you'd need to turn it around so that the opening faced the windshield. No kidding.

Glad I Could Help !!!!!

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Only if I wanted it to be "cowl induction." It will work the way I installed it, the way it was intended to be installed. There are other scoops designed to be installed to pick up the fresh air from the cowl area. This isn't one of them. Do a google image search on "hood scoop" and educate yourself. Glad I could help! :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Oh yeah, be nice. I consider you to be a pal of mine. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

I feel the love! Getting all warm and fuzzy!! :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

................Shazamm!...........I was afraid that you didn't like me any more.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

...............I have done my homework and here's what I know to be true:

.......A front intake scoop on a flat hood is trying to get it's air from a turbulent low pressure area that's right behind the top front edge of the hood. Further back on the hood towards the windshield, the pressure is much higher and will actually feed air into your redneck style air scoop. That's why you should consider turning it around. Of course, if it's just there for looks..........that's your choice.

.........Us yankees are more interested in functionality........lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Actually, I was picturing the carnage during the first deep water crossing. The word hydrolock comes to mind.

Other than that, looks like a ton of fun, Shaggie.

Reply to
Malcolm

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:34:53 -0500, "Malcolm" ran around screaming and yelling:

if the water is deep enough to enter through the scoop he is doomed with or without the scoop....the scoop is higher than the carbs top anyway....if he plans those things, a snorkel is in order... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ignition timing and mixture. Please pay attention to parts of the engine that are glowing red hot :D

The scoop looked hideous when black, but with paint it looks much better.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nah, it's the beer Joern. You just peed your pants.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Look at Subaru Impreza WRX and Sti (Or Legacy turbo for that matter) and tell me their engineers did it wrong? And Mitsubishi L200 turbo Pickup and turbo Pajero/Montero and dozens of other cars that have hood scoops? The majority have their opening pointed forward. Only some old american muscle cars try to utilize cowl induction. It MIGHT work, I'm not denying that. But forward opening scoop does too, and that's how the majority of cars are designed since the 80's up until today.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Shaggie:

That reminds me of a story related to Cameo Paint that was in my repressed memory. When I was a salesman for a copier company in the late 80's we had a new secretary, or a new girl as the men there called them. She drove an old Hornet Sportabout Wagon. It was a beater and her kids painted it in a Cameo theme. The boss did not take to kindly to here parking next to his brand new

88 Lincoln LSC so for the rest of the time she worked there she had to park her car in the back of the building our of sight. Bill Berckman 67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

I absolutely positivly flatly denie that!!

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

...................The WRX scoop is located back away from the front of the hood. The direction of the scoop inlet isn't as important as where it's located. Also, a flat horizontal hood surface with an angled leading edge where it meets the grill will accentuate this problem. We're talking about basic flow dynamics here. High pressure vs low pressure, laminar flow vs turbulent flow. A square shaped jeep doesn't have too much non-turbulent laminar flow on it no matter where you look. So what you'd look for when choosing to place for an air intake is a location where there's enough pressure to actually supply some air to the intake, regardless of which way that the inlet is pointing. Most vehicles have an area of positive pressure at the base of the windshield which also includes the rear part of the hood. Why do you think that most cars have their passenger compartment heaters are ducted for fresh air from the base of the windshield. To add some ACVW content here, that's why those louvered type1 trunk lids have their louvers positioned back close to the windshield.

...........So there !!!

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

We're talking about a 28 year old Jeep that is driven no more than 20 mph on the trails, and everybody knew that from the start of this thread. The scoop will do just fine to deliver a little extra cool air to the carb. I'm not going for the land-speed record here. Next conversation, please. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

the hood scoop debate....it's been a few years....i read about this in one of those 60's muscle car mags / books, some time back.

From what I remember, the Chryslers with those huge front facing sccops were said to be the most effective. Largest openings placed above the boundart/fringe area of the hood.

Pontiac GTO /Firebird (Ram Air) were some of the worst - small openings placed right on the surface/ fringe of the hood. The engines did benefit from being able to draw in cool outside air as opposed to hot underhood air, just not to the same degree as the Chryslers.

The Chevy cowl inductions were somewhere in the middle. The reverse facing scoop did benefit from the pressure of the windshield, but the opening was on the small side. The Olds Force Air set up, Pontiac Trans Am and others were also somewhere between the two extremes. I would say Shag's scoop will help, since it is raised above the hood surface, even though the opening is not that big. I would worry more about water / mud being splashed into the top side of the engine on wet trails.

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

I'm really not planning on getting into any puddles deep enough to cause a problem like that. Like Joey said, if I was going to do that then I'd have gone for a snorkel setup and my carb sits literally over

1/2 foot lower than the hood. When I was cutting into the hood with the sawsall I kept the air-cleaner on, even. Didn't even have to worry about the sawsall blade touching it. I think that just for the fun of it I may hook up a flap on the front of the scoop that I can open and close with a choke cable or something like that. Just in case I wanna charge a kinda big puddle and am anticipating some waves/splashes up on the hood, I could close the opening up enough to keep from getting my engine muddy, at least from the topside. The scoop is really more just for looks than anything. I love the way it looks. The Jeep sounds REALLY GOOD right now, though. When I rev it up a little bit, it's intimidating sounding. When I got it started again I was used to the clutch in the Civic and not the Jeep (which is anything but "civic") and so when I backed it out of the garage, I made quite the spectacle. heh heh... ROOOOAAAARRRR!!!!! SQEEEEAAAALLLL!!!! I can hardly wait...