rear wheel noise

My bus is making a rhythmic, scraping noise from the driver rear side that does not stop until the bus is stopped. It does not stop when the brake is applied, in gear, neutral, or with the clutch engaged or not. I'm guessing rear wheel bearing so I'm going to take it apart. I'll keep you posted.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Before you rip it apart, jack that side up and listen (with a homemade stethoscope) to the bearing housing as you spin the wheel.

Bad bearings usually make a rumble noise, not scraping. Loose parts (e-brake cable, e.g.) inside the drum may scrape.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thank you Speedy J, I will check that out . Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I jacked up the back of the bus (after I located an actual stethoscope) turned the wheel and listened. Nothing much. I popped the hubcaps and as I took out the cotter key I noticed the nut move. I took it off with my fingers. Both Nuts were on finger tight!!! I tightened them to about 250 lbs and no noise. Wow.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Way to go Dennis!! I had a wheel actually round itself out (shear off all the splines) before i could figure out a loose axle nut was the cause!!!

Reply to
Cletus

Thanks, I usually don't find the stuff right in front of my nose so I'm excited myself. I also today found out why my front end was shakin'. The old tires are coming apart from age and the left one is missing a two inch by eight inch chunk so it's tire time. I'm lucky

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik