V70 tyres

Of course tyres do not stop working at any given temperature that we are likely to encounter...

As per Steve Henning's comments... they may tail off in performance outside the design temperature range, but that's what happens in real life and tyres have been designed to cope with.

By far a bigger issue is what if you have a crash with "proper" winter tyres on and the speed rating is not what is recommended by the manufacturer ! Ideal wriggle-out possibilty for them, all because we were "trying to be smart" and fit a "better" tyre ....

What happens if we have winter tyres on and the sun comes out - do we change tyres and then back again at night ?

Here in the UK, we are having -6 deg C at night and + 12 deg C in the day...not a great temperature range and our "all weather tyres" seem to cope admirably...

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Based on my experience, I concur.

I've been running 4 Pirelli "Ice Radials" on my 850T during winters for several years. I bought a set of Toyo Proxes 4 (high performance all- season) last summer partly on the strength of ownership surveys rating them equal to the Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season. The Toyos performed OK during several snowfalls we've had this winter. I never got stuck, but they were clearly limited in their ability.

I recently put the Pirelli Ice Radials back on for a ski trip. What a difference! I noticed it as soon as I drove out of our garage onto our snowy driveway. The rubber compound on the Ice Radials provided a major improvement in traction on packed snow and ice. As you would expect, the tread pattern on the Ice Radials helped immensely in the deeper snow I encountered in the mountains approaching the ski area, but that's a no-brainer.

As an aside, I'm fairly impressed with the performance of the Toyo Proxes 4 during summer and fall. Traction on dry and wet roads is very good, they track very nicely on the highway, they're quiet, and they balanced up very well. A good tire for the money. But when the tread on the Ice Radials reaches the recommended minimum, I'll get another set of 4 dedicated winter tires.

Java

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)