If Ford had Cummins?

Rubbish. Chrysler was saved from bankruptcy by a billion bucks in loan guarantees. The K-car helped but the minivan set the course for future success.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Not sure... it may be due to the DM flywheel, but I suspect the torque rating of the G56 isn't up to 650ft.lbs.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No, girls have a lack of logic, much like your statements about Mike.

Get it straight.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Interesting, my 2000 hasn't had a problem, nor have any in the area. Also, I'm not alarmed.

Reply to
Max Dodge

If one were to believe your statements on the "crisis", MY truck would be the anomoly, with no failure and no symptoms in over 70k miles.

Again, I'll refer to the vast number of trucks versus the failure rate. Until we have a well founded rate of failure, lift pump failure isn't the crisis its being made out to be.

No, my quest for facts eliminates knee jerk reactionary crap, such as that for which you are known.

Yeah, you need to do that, but only if they contain proven information, not just alarmist reaction.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Then you would do well to read all the words, not just those you wish to hear or spin.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Hardly. You are aware, in your vast knowledge, that a diesel can be fueled to meet specific levels of power at any given RPM, are you not? Do you think Cummins arbitrarily picked specs that match the DMax? Cummins tuned it to those specs to beat the Dmax. Rest assured, the engine will have those specs when it hits the street.

Reply to
Max Dodge

But Nate, you have countless times said that the Dmax was the superior engine, just look at its hp rating.....

So, which was your above statement, backpedal or spin?

Reply to
Max Dodge

I don't know everything, but I know a bunch of bullshit when I see it.....

But you haven't posted any facts on the LP issue. I've got two opinions, yours and Roy's. Neither of you has statistical evidence to prove your assumptions correct. In fact, you claim your LP was replaced at 99,990, hardly a "known problem" at that mileage. Then you claim it was replaced as preventitive maintenance, so it hadn't in fact failed. Either way, its not a design flaw to have a pump fail at nearly 100k, nor is it a design flaw to have it replaced at nearly 100k as preventitive maintenance.

Opinions SHOULD be based on fact, otherwise they are bullshit. Since you have just shown a basic flaw in your understanding of how opinions and facts relate to one another, I feel confident in my assumption that you are once again throwing bullshit around.

No, but thats been a general assumption by many of you.

But Teachers do require facts, not conjecture, evidence, not opinion. Just the same as lawyers, judges, and interestingly enough, cops and the accused.

Apparently, Joe Sixpack only needs a reason to talk, and he'll say anything.

Reply to
Max Dodge

And if you read your history books, you'll find that Lee Iacocca sold the loan guarantees on the fact that he had a design in hand that was so versitile and efficient, it would sell well and save costs in manufacturing.

IOW, in the question of which came first, the K-car or the billion dollars in loans, its clearly the K-car and the business plan built around it.

Thus, no K-car, no loans.

Reply to
Max Dodge

My 2K went through 3. What really sucked is that a lot of dealers wouldn't stock them so you were down for a few days. You'd be alarmed if your pump was gone and you were waiting with a foot of snow on the ground. That's why a lot of us carried a spare. While we are at it there has been a few post's about the in tank pump going away. Take a look over at the tdr. Roy

Reply to
Roy

Max, not trying to provide statistical evidence. Just a opinion based on my experience. This isn't a friggin'courtroom. Take a look at the tdr, 2nd gen.

24 valve engine and transmission(1998.5-2002) search, lift pump failure. There are close to 400 post's concerning failures, and no, I didn't read them all.. If you remember DC changed the lift pump or at least the part#. Could it have been because that a failed lift pump would cause the failure of a more expensive ip? I don't know, but they finally seem to have it fixed. Now I'm reading and hearing about the pump in the tank. That ain't a roadside r&r. Time will tell.

You and Nate try to play nice.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

For the record, the lift pump failures have been more prevalent that DC or Cummins would like however when compared to the number of trucks sold with the Cummins, it is a statiscally small number.

Keep in mind, that when the failure is YOURS, it IS a crisis since those puppies ain't cheap.

Also, keep in mind that most of the posts in TDR (and elsewhere) are about problems. No one takes the time to post about bad stuff not happening so the info on those sites are skewed to the failures.

The people who are happy and have no probs are the SILENT majority!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

i cant believe you have been such an active member of this newsgroup for many many years, and you seem surprised by this.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

give it time. i told you that mine failed at 99,990 "or so" miles.

just do a google on THIS newsgroup for the word "lift pump"

that you would still argue this point without dont any research (evident by the fact that you cannot acknowledge it) validates my earlier statement. your agenda matters most to you, facts be damned.

how about this quote from tom lawrence:

"The only well-known "weak link" on those engines ('98.5 to '02 24V engines) is the factory lift pump. If/when that fails, it kills your injector pump, and that's a 4-figure repair bill. At a minimum, install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor your fuel pressure, so you can detect a failing lift pump before it's too late. If it were me, I'd immediately replace it with an aftermarket pump (as well as install a pressure gauge). "

um......he said it was a weak link max. tom full of shit too? see it for yourself at

perhaps you should read the entire thread so that you can continue to argue your ignorance.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Well, now you've thrown down the gauntlet so to speak. I've also had one replaced on my '01.5. I bought it used in February, 2004 with 49,012 miles on it. The original owner claimed it to be all stock, never modified in any way. I had my local mechanic look at it shortly thereafter and he didn't find any evidence of mods either. What he did find was low fuel pressure indicative of a bad lift pump. He did change it and I submitted his invoice for reimbursement. I heard nothing for a very long time and then got a phone call from DC. They refused to reimburse for labor and only for their cost for the lift pump, $70.00. No amount of complaint or logic would sway them. Nothing DC does now would persuade me to buy another from them. I have three Dodge trucks and two Chrysler product cars, no more when these are gone.

I saw a post on TDR about someone with a Bluebird bus with a 5.9 Cummins in it with lift pump problems. Cummins takes care of their customers. DC weasels out of their problems.

Almost forgot, DC contacted my local mechanic and asked him to send them the failed lift pump AFTER REFUSING to pay for his labor. Had I known before he sent it to them, I would have delivered it personally, up their ass. Bastards.

Reply to
BigIronRam

WRONG. i clearly stated that it was superior ON PAPER (relevant becasue that is what bean counters look at).

it was spin, but it was MAX trying to spin a victory out of his own failure to comprehend my clear statement.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

I've also got a fuel pressure gauge now. When this lift pump goes out, and we know it will, I will also have an aftermarket fix. The only reason I went with a stock replacement the first time was trying to save a few bucks, foolish in hindsight. The difference in what it cost to do it and what DC was willing to reimburse would've gone a good ways towards a FASS.

Reply to
BigIronRam

hmm......yet you think you can get an ISB in the f450/f550.....and that the cummins dodge is aviailable at 650 ft. lbs......and that the LP isnt an issue. LOL. :-)

youre right max, the issue isnt known, and does not exist.

......that you would continue to argue ignorance is funny. :-)

WRONG. i stated that the INJECTION PUMP was replaced "just in case". the lift pump was a failure. please do some research and learn the difference in the two.

WRONG! otherwise they are opinions! im sure somewhere out there is a woman that thinks you are the best looking man she has ever seen. that isnt factual, it is her OPINION. same goes for me, and everyone else.

lol......right max......the lift pump issue never existed. :-)

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

nope, NOT gonna happen. max said the issue doesnt exist. :-)

Reply to
Nathan In Montana