2002 F150 Lariat FX4 -- Passenger tires vs LT tires?

I have preowned 02 F150 Lariat FX4; about a week ago the front right tire apparently blew all by itself. It has a 4 inch tear radiating away from the rim.

The truck came with P265/R7017s on it. The truck has 36000 mi. 99.9% of my driving is city. 0.1% is back-country gravel road.

Should I replace the two front tires with Passenger or Light Truck Tires? Is there any downside to using LT tires instead of Passenger tires (other than the fact that I have to special order them)?

Reply to
Blade

I can't imagine not putting LT's on a truck, these vehicles are heavy. Having thicker, stiffer sidewalls has got to be a good thing. Plus if you ever want to carry anything heavy you don't have to worry so much.

One thing I don't get is why you would have to special order LT tires. Around here you would be more likely to get a set of LT's in the right size than anything else.

L8R, Jeff

Reply to
Hawk

The weight and handling of your truck is important when choosing tires. Passenger tires are not up to the task.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

LT tires have a heavier rating so you can haul heavier loads if you so choose, I always get LT's over P's.

Reply to
T&L

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:07:46 +0000, Hawk rearranged some electrons to form:

The OP said he only wanted to replace the FRONT tires. If the replacement tires are larger in diameter than the back tires, he is asking for future trouble if he uses 4WD (unless it's always on snow).

LT tires are the way to go. I have a set of LT Michelin LTX's (which I had to order, by the way). They ain't cheap, but they are very good tires, much better than the LT GY's that came on the truck, IMHO.

Reply to
David M

I noticed he mentioned only the front tires, but proceeded to forget. They definately should all be replaced if there is significant wear on the others and you have any intention of using 4x4. Mismatched tires can wreak havoc with your drivetrain in 4x4

Reply to
Hawk

The downside is that they are more expensive. They are more expensive because they are designed to withstand harsher conditions, like everyone else said. FWIW, here in Western NY several LT tires are in stock at Sams Club and presumably others.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Thanks to everyone who replied. I realize that most people recommended the LT tires, but reading between the lines, and looking at other sites, as well as what other trucks had on them....

...I went with Michelin X-Radials P256/R7017 for $150 ea from Costco.

The one thing that I didn't want to sacrifice was my city driving; it is at least 99% of my driving and I treasure my smoove, quiet ride.

Reply to
Blade

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:31:33 +0000, Blade rearranged some electrons to form:

Michelin LTX load range E LT's were about the same price.

Reply to
David M