Time for a new motor.

Ok after 345K dependable miles I've got to face the fact that the motor in my 1987 pickup is finally on it's last leg. I'd like to drop in another motor for the least amount possible and still get another 200 to 300 K (yeah right) Anyway, what's the best route to take here? Should I find a salvaged motor with unknown miles or condition? Probably the cheapest way to go. or have the original motor rebuilt? I can pull the motor myself and reinstall, so it's just a matter of finding a good machine shop to do the work. I'm assuming that the original motor can be rebuilt. It isn't blown, just tired. What would you do? Bill Chase

Reply to
chase12

You're going to get pro and con on this. Unless you really like wrenching on cars, my suggestion is to buy something newer. Here's why: even with a rebuilt engine, you're going to see things break and wear out periodically. The cost of parts e.g. alternators, fuel pumps etc., is not cheap, and remember, even when everything is running ok, suspension parts, on a vehicle of that age will be less than tight, which could affect handling. I just got rid of a 90 Hardbody pickup, and got a 99 Frontier, not an easy decision since the 90 was the best verhicle I've ever owned and still was running fine at

225,000 miles. The prospect of aging parts and a possible breakdown on the highway is what made up my mind. BTW, the 99, a V6 4x4 is a pretty good vehicle in its own right, heavier and not as quick, but a nice riding truck.

Reply to
Fred Stevens

Things being what they are (you know the oil change history, etc.), I'd go with the rebuild route myself. Use genuine Nissan parts (rings, gaskets, bearings, etc.) and have yourself another great 345K. :-) I wouldn't be surprised if you don't even have to have it bored out. Been there, seen it. :-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck

I have to agree with Fred having almost duplicated his story myself. I had a 91 Hardbody (also the best vehicle I ever owned) with 230000 miles on it and it was running GREAT when I sold it and bought a 98 Frontier 4X4. I just didn't want to deal with the problems that would inevitably come. I took the same route with my 720 before the Hardbody. They are loooong running trucks and I know I would have gotten another 150000 miles or so out of both trucks, but nothing lasts forever.....Incidentally, I love my Frontier.

Neil in Dallas(but not for long)

periodically.

Reply to
SteelersFan