can a 215/45R17 be used to replace a 225/65-17 tire

Are you referring to air or oil filters? I use K&N oil filters on 4 cars and find that the oil seems somewhat cleaner at oil-change time than it did with the factory filters. I would never use a Fram oil filter on any car. If you don't like K&N, which brand do you recommend?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom S

i ahd the engine rebuilt and a transmission put in and a couple of other things done but after all that anytime it is in park or neutral it idles pretty good but when in gear it goes up and down between 700 to 200 rpms. i would appreciate it so much if some could help me out. someone had told me that it might be the coil packs but unsure

Reply to
micripper

So how do you get the bellows to move out of the way on a

2000 max to get to the butterfly? I can not get the bellows to compress to get them off?
Reply to
Boots

Sure it does, its only one level removed from working it out to the ounce.

Yes, that is the time honored method to calculate mileage. Actually, it should be taken a step further and averaged over several tank-fulls to get a more accurate measure.

Too much caffeine this morning? Or just not getting enough sex?

Who died and appointed you policeman for politically/mathmatically correct posting?

Your Maxima has a problem if it only gets 22 mpg. The mid-90's Maximas and I30s get 28-30 on the highway, and 22-23 around town is the worst case for them.

I'll grant you it is a little difficult to assess whether this guy has a problem, but even if you assume the worst possible case, that he ran the tank dry, 408 miles on an 18 gallon tank works out to 22.6 mpg. This is in the range for those cars.

Reply to
E. Meyer

That raises a question - never having been to Canada, what do they put on the side of the road there, kilometer markers, mile markers, nothing?

Reply to
E. Meyer

is Japan's attempt

Sadly this is what happens when a good engineered auto gets a going over to cut costs. It happened when Nissan lost control of their company. The 98&99 Maximas were the last really quality Maxs.

Reply to
Boots

I have an ongoing problem with rotors. Rotors were warped at about 25K miles. Dealer turned them. They warped again aroung 45K. Instead of turning them again, I decided to replace them. Rotors glazed at 50K (I have been driving in the mountains for 17 years and never had a glazed rotor on any of my cars except 2K maxima. So I can claim I know how to drive in mountains without riding the brakes. My other car 1994 Acura Integra has 145K miles on it and is still on original rotors that have never been turned). Rotors now need to be turned again and I am sure this is not the end of rotor problem.

I have had oxygen sensor, coils, stereo and a window switch replaced so far. At 50K dealer says belts are dry and need to be replaced. I have had significantly more problems in 5 years of owning 2K Maxima than in

11 years of owning Acura.

All of my other cars have been Honda/Acura so far. I am planning to dump Maxima later this year and go back to Acura. To add insult to injury, this car has not even held up much value, so I do not expect to get much money for it either. My 6 year old Acura Integra sedan sold in 2000 for more than what I can get from this Maxima now even though the original price for this car was $9000 more than the Acura.

==================================================================== Khalid Aziz snipped-for-privacy@gonehiking.org

Reply to
See signature for email addres

Kilometre markers in Canada on some highways.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Another variable is that SE's get different half-shafts for the limited-slip differential. I don't know what the difference is, but the part numbers are different.

Reply to
jmattis

when car idles....it overheats...while driving car is normal..... little odd...i was thinking that if it was the thermostat, it would run hot at all times? situation: driving car ran fine. idle 3/5 min..car ran fine..drove car, temp fine....sat in drive thru to mcd's and car temp started to rise...pulled off drove 15min home...temp was normal...

earlier...car left idle for 30min (wife was supposed to be ready to go lol) as soon as we got to the car after 30min the car started to steam

help ideas? thanks a bunch

Reply to
WarCap

My guess is you might have a problem with the heatexchanger {Radiator} the coolant is not flowing fast enough. Or maybe it's a failing water pump they can be tricky to check with not enough flow but enough to seem to be working. What ever if you don't get it fixed and it really heats up your engine is history. My advice is to visit a good radiator shop real soon.

Reply to
countrymorningsun

I just had brand new struts put on the front and back of my 1991 maxima. Now when I hit a bump or rut in the highway it feels like I am riding on nothing but rims in the front. The front part of the car is hitting real hard. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
dre5229

Could also be the radiator cooling fan (not needed when car is driving & air is being forced through it) in my case it was the temp sensor that turned on the fan when the motor warmed up.

Check if at least 1 fan is turning when the motor is warmed up (don't know if 98 has 1 or 2 fans). (Sometimes turning on the AC will cause the 2nd fan (if equipped), or main fan to spin). If it cools down with the AC on, check the fan ckts...

Gary K

Reply to
gary

I had rear struts put on a while ago. Every time I went over a bump, the rear end would lift and shift, we have some bad roads here in Ottawa. Anyhow, after a week of experiencing something similar, I took the car back and it turned out that the Nissan Struts were defective and had to be replaced again.

So, I'd say it's not normal to get defective parts off the shelf, but it does seem to be possible.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Check engine light on?

Reply to
JimV

I would certainly get a second opinion before considering Cooper tires, because the ones I had on a company truck were awful. First I tried mild all terrain tires, and they were not round (constantly bumpy on smooth roads) with visible lumpy sidewalls (apparently at belting seams). So I got a warranty replacement of all season tires. They are smooth, but have dangerously little grip on dry pavement (let go too easily in emergency braking).

But then Goodyear also makes anywhere from good to bad tires (sometimes with the same model designation). Their RSA Z-rated all weather tires on a Camaro were supposedly decent. The RSA H-rated tires that came on my 95 Maxima SE were fine in snow, but had no grip on dry pavement, which made them last forever.

I have had good luck with BFG/Michelin, Bridgestone/Firestone, Falken, General. Other big name brands should be decent too. But I usually run performance summer tires because I have a Pathfinder for winter.

Reply to
David Efflandt

I have an 01 max with the optional 17" tires. i'm looking to replace the crappy potenzas they came with and had a question. the size is 225/50/17 now a local tire place is having a tire sale and is selling cooper Zeon tires for 200 a pair with road hazzard and free mounting. the problem is they only have 225/45/17. will that be a big deal? don't want my speedomoter to be off or for it to cost me gas mileage. looking for a cheap all season tire. woudl like somethign directional as I've heard they give better handeling. can I get some recomendations, looking to spend about 100 per tire. I have to deal with snow up here in RI about 4-5 months out of the year. so looking for somethign to help with that but also wear well. thanks!

Reply to
Nick

I removed the whole airbox. As I've done it three times now, it doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

Reply to
mawalsh

I recently bought Toyo Proxes 4's, which seem to be pretty good performers for all season tires. If you want to go with a larger tire 225/45/17,

235/45/17 and 245/45/17 will work. The Toyo's were about $600 installed.

As for tire size/speedometer issues, there is a calculator here:

I'd check out
and
for reviews. HTH,

Brad