can a 215/45R17 be used to replace a 225/65-17 tire

I consistently get around 460 kilometres per fillup from empty on my 95 driving around the city. I reset the trip odometer every fillup just to make keeping my eye on it easy.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com Apr 5, 9:13 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.nissan.maxima From: snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com - Find messages by this author Date: 5 Apr 2005 09:13:35 -0700 Local: Tues,Apr 5 2005 9:13 am Subject: Spring Compressors required to remove strut???? Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse

I have a '91 Nissan maxima GXE 5spd (190K) that needs 4 new struts and one drive axle (driver's side). 2 Questions:

  1. Do I need a spring compressor to remove the springs or will full droop of the wheel be enough to get the springs off?

  1. Are there any "gotchas" or special tools required to replace the drive axle?

Thanks to all that replied, Nisstech, 91 max and Filipp. Was a super easy job. AZ loaned me all the special tools and it really helps knowng what you need to reduce part store trips. Thanks again.

Derek

Reply to
genius

i work too much on my house and don't do anything on my car. sal, my mechanic, takes care of that. i'll look at the invoices and see if that would tell me.

Codifus wrote:

Reply to
paducci

First, which model do you have? GXE or SE? In '92, they had different engines. GXE - SOHC, SE - DOHC. And compute your miles per gallon.

My '91 SE (SOHC V6) gets about 340 miles to a tank, and this is mostly highway driving, but at speeds averaging probably 80 mph. I get around 24 miles per gallon. Not bad considering I'm at almost 180,000 miles.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

Hi! I don't know if this is relevant, but, when I put shafts in my daughters 96 Maxima, the guy put the same length in both sides,,,,,MISTAKE! one is longer than the other, the car exhibited strange behavior, and eventually went back to the guy and was "fixed" (he said it was the shaft, but I believe he had put in the wrong length,) this would make one side have considerably more mechanical advantage than the other....like I said, I don't know if this is your problem, but it might be worth a look....good luck....

2Maximas
Reply to
Bitsbucket

sorry Guys i did double check my Figure......I got 408 miles for a full tank of guess.......Thats in the city driving and Highway most of the time.....I don't drink coffe so i don't leave my car running all the time while running into a shop....is that a good ration for this kind of car......

Reply to
sherbin Joseph via CarKB.com

I had drove so many cars before.......but it seems like my Nissan maxima

1992 is moving very slow at the reading it shows.....when am doing 100KM/H on the Highway i think am moving around 80K........and the piont is so many cars are passing me.......not that they driving fast just that i think my car is moving slow at the speed reading its showing.....can anyone be of any help to me
Reply to
sherbin Joseph via CarKB.com

Yes, that's good for a Maxima.

Reply to
E. Meyer

If it don't "whoosh", you need to replace the gas cap. It's required by State inspection law. Plus, you'll be smelling gas vapors when it's warm weather. I've replaced the caps on both my Max's due to inspection requirements.

Chris

Reply to
Chris H

I've replaced shafts in both my 3rd gen's and they are different shafts right and left. The right shaft fits into an intermediate shaft held up with a support bearing assembly. The right shaft has a "shoulder" on the inside that presses into and aligns in this support bearing and is fastened w/ 3 cap screws. With paint on the new shaft, it is possible the shoulder could be pressed in crooked or jammed. If the guy didn't install this correctly, call me and I'll go kick his lame arse, because anyone with at least half a brain can figure this one out-- or shouldn't be working on cars. If this is the case, the new incorrect shaft is locking and unlocking due to varying degrees of torque and front suspension deflection when corning since it is not secured. The reason for the intermediate shaft is to maintain two almost identical driveshaft lengths to minimize torque-steer on fwd cars. But that doesn't mean they are interchangeable shafts. On engines that put out over 140+/- hp, you can feel torque steer in the steering wheel. Hey, I bought 2 sets of AutoZone reman'd shafts and they were smart enough to give me the correct ones.

I hope you don't get hosed on this one!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Travel at 60MPH and see if it's taking you 60 secs between mile markers on the highway.

Reply to
JimV

My opinion hasn't changes in the last 40,000 miles. This is Japan's attempt at revenge for Hiroshima.

What a piece of crap.

Anyone want it? Cheap.

Reply to
nona

sorry but i can not take anymore idiots that can not calculate gas mileage - the number of miles per TANK has nothing to do with your miles per gallon,,,!!!

Fill the tank, zero the odometer, drive, then fill the tank again - divide the odometer trip miles by the number of gallons you re filled the tank by,,,

Got that,,,,!!!!! Its MATH,,,,,!!! Use a 5 dollar calculator or ask your neighbor,,

and please no more posts - about " my miles per tank".......

a maxima is go>>

Reply to
vander

Sure, I'll take it. Where and when?

Reply to
JimV

Sadly this is what happens when a good engineered auto gets a going over to cut costs. It happened when Nissan lost control of their company. The 98&99 Maximas were the last really quality Maxs.

Reply to
countrymorning

Marietta Georgia (Atlanta suburb), $12,250.00 with 51K miles, Black with all SE options and gray leather int.

Reply to
nona

just an opinion based on my ownership of a 2000 SE and previous ownership of heavier autos.

The extremely light weight Maxima and high road noise gives the impression of speed. Beg, buy, borrow (but don't steal) a big American sedan and you'll be doing 120 KPH and feel the sensation of going 60 KPH.

Reply to
nona

p.s.: Photos by email on request

Reply to
nona
2 photos sent to JimV

Reply to
nona

So, I get about 25 MPG using imperial or 21 MPG using US. In Canada I get 9 km/L or 11.11 L/100km. I recently paid 1.099/L for gas. Thats about 5.00 /Gallon Imperial and 4.16 /Gallon US. The actual fillup was about $55.00 CAD or $43.97 USD.

We use Metric here in Canada and I never made the grade converting so I simply track my fuel consumption on a tank by tank basis against my already established baseline of approximately 450 kilometres per tank. I usually fill up between 50 and 55 litres. So if my distance travelled is within my ballpark, I know that the car is running fine.

Now I also own a Plymouth Voyageur which is like a brick on the highway. I get about 18 MPG with it. At one time, using my rough reckoning I noticed that the distance travelled was quite horrible and the calculation came out to about 12 MPG. The machine was running quite smooth though. The ECU had compensated for aging parts, plugs and wires. After changing them, I was up to 19 MPG.

So, my point is this, you don't need to do a calculation to see if the machine is running properly, dead reckoning will do.

And if you actually doubt that dead reckoning works, ask Boeing how a 747 stays in the air, or a shuttle gets into outer space. They were designed at time when slide and dead reckoning were the norm.

Try this site.

snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com,

Reply to
Richard Tomkins