can a 215/45R17 be used to replace a 225/65-17 tire

Hi,

I have a 2001 Maxima. The Service Engine Soon light came on; a few weeks back it popped on b/c I didn't tighten the gas cap enough (it went off shortly after I tightened it). Now, the light is back on for the past week. I took it to an autozone and I didn't get the actual code number when the tech hooked up the computer, but the guy said the cat converter performance was low.

I've been doing a lot of driving in and out of the mountains, I'd like to just reset it if I can. Unfortunately the 2001 computers don't seem to have the same screw that can reset it like earlier maximas -- is there a way to reset it?

Anyone know if the light will go off after time if the problem corrects itself?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
lw_elite

You need the scan tool to reset it. Yes, it will go off after a certain number of starts if the problem is corrected. Cat efficiency issues are often corrected with firmware updates (from the dealer).

Reply to
JimV

Yes, there is a TSB. Get going 20 or 25 and stand on it, if it downshifts and accelerates smoothly (without hesitation or slipping), you're all set. Do change the fluid though. If you haven't already.

Reply to
JimV

Thanks Jim,

Any idea on how many starts are necessary or how long I should wait before bringing it in? It's been a week, figure 3 starts/day -- if there's a genuine problem I want to get it fixed, it's low mileage so my hunch tells me there's no problem.

Is it possible a bad tank of gas could've caused this?

Thanks for your advice,

Tom

Reply to
lw_elite

I just looked in the shop manual, but I can find it. I think it's like

  1. Chances are it's going to come back. Codes seldom just go way, with the exception of the eval error from leaving the gas cap off.
Reply to
JimV

Great, thanks again for the info and quick reply. I'll probably wait a few days and see if it goes off... otherwise, I'll bring it into the shop.

Reply to
lw_elite

I've just found this group and have been reading some of the Q's and A's. This is a great site,I might add. I've learned a lot from you guys. As for my ownership of Maximas,I had a '87 Maxima five speed. It was by far the best car I've ever owned. I purchased it in '97. It had only

150,000 miles on it. I put another 150k on it. I finally got rid of it when I bought a 2003 Maxima SE. It is a great car in every way,but it doesn't ride as good as my '87 for it had a soft,medium and a hard ride switch in the console. My '03 Max doesen't have this.

Finmeister

Reply to
Finley Evans

Hi, Is there an online Nissan parts store that I can use to order parts (like oil filter, air filter etc. ) and ship it to Toronto, Canada. Or is there a delaership in Toronto area that sells parts at a reasonable price.

Thanks, Rana

Reply to
Rana Ahmed

Well things are not going to get much better. I feel the 98 Max was the last really good Max built before Ghone took over at Nissan and started the demise of a quality at Nissan.

Reply to
scareDcatcatcher

All I noticed was the wheels and paint they have the same body except they dropped the Galv. coating on sheet metal the engine is the same as the 98. it's the same Max. Then it really changed in 2000

Reply to
scareDcatcatcher

I think you are talking about the oil pressure sending unit. It is nearly impossible to keep oil off of the wires. Doesn't seem to cause problems.

JM

Reply to
jmattis

Some (windless) days the car accelerates and coasts like the wind is to its back and other days, while it's not even close to sluggish, it does feel more like it's driving into a stiff wind. A/C on or off makes no difference. NGK platinum's and clutch changed within the last 10k miles.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Max98

The knock sensor sets a code, but does not light the engine light. If your knock sensor is failing it could account for behavior like this. Try reading out the stored codes and see if there is anything in there.

Reply to
E. Meyer

My car will stall when I slow down in traffic or when I apply the brakes to go around a corner. It does not do it all the time...does anyone have the same problem

Reply to
Barb0218

What is the best DIY leak finder for my 94 Max A/C system. I've seen some with eyeglasses and dye and also different types. Any experience with this stuff that you could share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

You mean does it idle out? This happen to me a few times over the past winter. When I disengaged the clutch, the engine stalled.

I figure it needs a tune-up or something. Not gonna worry about it unless it starts becoming problematic...

Reply to
pgg

Anyone have this problem? When braking, I hear a faint thud/clunk coming from the front end. I don't always hear it. It depends on how fast I'm going and how hard I'm pressing on the brakes.

-- Mr. Rajendra Singh

Reply to
Rajendra Singh

disconnect the negative battery connection for a minimum of 12 hours,

24 would be even better,,

I know this sounds insane, but i had the same problem with my

2000,,and though disconnecting the battery for an hour would clear the light, it apparently was not long enough to clear the error in the computer - which would trigger the light again in a few days or weeks. The whole system needs to re boot, and the only way to get it to do this is to completely clear all the memory buffers.

lw snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
vander

A long time ago, my wife tried to back out of the garage before the door had opened all the way and hung the power antenna and bent it at the base. I managed to straighten it and it's half way worked until the other night when it broke off right at the base with it all the way extended. So where is the best place to buy a new power antenna? Are they very easy to install? Do I need the entire power assembly of just the telescopic antenna? Thanks much in advance.

Ben

Reply to
Ben in TN