OT texas help

Approximately 9/25/03 07:05, Jeepers uttered for posterity:

Given a choice between Montana, even Great Falls, and El Paso, I'd take Montana. Even Great Falls which is considered fairly dry by northwest Montana standards has way more water than El Paso. It is also far smaller by any measure. Plus in Montana you have way more hunting and fishing available even if you are just a worm drowner. And from Great Falls, you can hit the truly beautiful alpine Montana in a coupla hours unless it happens to be on fire at the time.

El Paso does have a lot of offroad areas, and it does have hunting particularly wild pig and jack rabbit. It is dry, dusty [more sandy than dusty] with truly nasty peasized sandstorms. Still I managed to like it...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Will Honea

Lots of wheeling. Mostly sand, some rock. No mud whatsoever.

Absolutely none. Flat as a frying pan and just about as much vegetation.

You are dealing with a semi-desert climate. Snow is possible but not all that frequent due to generally low precipitation. Annual precipitation out there is something like 4 inches per year.

is it racially balanced or is it overwhelming in any direction

70% white, 25% mexican, 5% miscellaneous

is oil an

Yes.... this week.

are large tracts of

hahahaha! There are monstrous tracts of empty land out there. Why anyone would want it is beyond me, however.

is it a "good" place to

Totally depends on your preferences. Some people would consider it too redneck.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Just to clarify, my response pertains to Amarillo where I have some relatives. Never been to El Paso.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

I live on a ranch in South Texas, between Corpus and San Antonio. I also have a place out between Sanderson and Del Rio, near Dryden. I have plenty of four-wheeling opportunities from the Piney woods to the Hill Country, of central Texas ,to the Big Bend area and on down to the Gulf coast. Palo Duro Canyon and Black Gap Wildlife Managment area to Kickapoo Caverns State Park and up near Ft. Hood. I go wheeling in Mexico, Colorado and New Mexico. Texas has it, for me anyways, I wouldn't live anywhere else, I'm seventh generation native. Montana may have the bears and elk, but I hunt whitetail and turkeys on my own land and Muleys out at Dryden. Right now it's dove season, LOVE IT! Last night after my son's soccer practice in town, we came across a nice black feral pig on our back road. But, alas, I was unarmed or we would have had pork soon. Deep sea fishing in the Gulf is unmatched, plus all the FRESH jumbo shrimp one can handle. My 10 year old caught a 15 pound King Mackeral a couple weeks back off the coast of Port Aransas, he was thrilled. The freshwater fishing is also wonderful, you could spend a lifetime boating all the lakes in Texas. We canoe the Guadelupe and flyfish near New Braunfels for Trout. The bigmouth bass are a challenge too, not to mention the monster cats.

I was born in El Paso and have been all over the states, but Texas is home. The rest of Texas is really nothing like El Paso.

If I had to pick between the Pan Handle/Permian basin and El Paso, I'd take El Paso. With I-10 right there and Mexico and New Mexico it'd be a bit more interesting than out in the Flatlands of the Basin.

Reply to
Jeepers

What is wrong with Houston? Lots of wheeling, lots more things to do than Amarillo, and you actually have green plant life.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

on a side note bill, my 2 year old saw your signature in passing and she ran over to touch it screaming "daddy, jeep!" :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

In El Paso?!?! A MAJOR border town?!?! I was born there, kid. If you are white, you are a big time minority. If you don't speak Spanglish or Tex-Mex you are gonna need to learn it, if you move there. Don't get me wrong, I love the hispanic/Mexican culture (especially the señoritas & food!) but that's what is in El Paso, Laredo, McAllen, Brownsville, Del Rio...

Reply to
Jeepers

Approximately 9/25/03 12:20, Jeepers uttered for posterity:

I wasn't meaning to disparage El Paso, I loved my time down there. It is just that I also been in Montana a lot, and between the two locations, the downside to Montana is mainly in the winter when you freeze your manhood off... And some folks don't appreciate the beauty of the mountain desert areas as much as I do.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

so far everyone ive talked to says houston is the f*ck hole of texas. last night i chatted with a few gi's that are at bliss (el paso) and they said they dont even go out much at night because crime has gotten out of hand. can anybody verify that? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

No. Disparage El Paso, it deserves it. Dirty, dry, middle of no where. Interesting, yes - paradise, no. Gateway to Mexico and stopover to California.

Reply to
Jeepers

City-boys out in the stix, sounds about like what they'd say.

I can't imagine there being more crime in El Paso than Houston. Houston's criminals drive Tuners, El Paso's drive trucks. :>)

Houston is okay if you can handle pinetrees, hurricanes and humidity and pavement. El Paso is the opposite.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 9/25/03 12:26, Jeepers uttered for posterity:

The actual figures according to census are:

1990 2000

Hispanic 70% 73%

White/non-Hispanic 26% 22%

Other 5% 5%

The numbers may be a bit misleading due to local culture, as in El Paso, folks with white/hispanic mixed background will be far more likely to declare themselves as hispanic than as white.

Dual language helps, but most of the hispanics speak better english than the average texas aggie....but not a longhorn of course.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 9/25/03 12:31, Jeepers uttered for posterity:

Couldn't even get laid in Jaurez, huh?

Like I said, I loved it. But then I've loved a lot of different areas, reserving the armpit designation for a very very few where I moved away rapidly.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

HA!

Reply to
Jeepers

Approximately 9/25/03 12:25, Joshua Nelson uttered for posterity:

And if you get stuck, just toss a rope over the next mosquito that passes by and get a free towout.

Nothing wrong with Houston other than the heat and the humidity.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

WHO'S A DAMN FLAMER, YA LAMER! Never flamers 'round here! Youi don't know what the hell your talking about!!! ;^)

Reply to
Jeepers