OT texas help

1990 ----- 70% + 26% +5% = 101% 2000 ----- 73% + 22% + 5% = 100% What happened to that other 1%? :)
Reply to
TJim

L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 9/26/03 14:19, TJim uttered for posterity:

New math? Geo Bush's education program?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

come on guys....its going a bit over the line now. i have an idea, lets all get together for a beer or something.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Approximately 9/26/03 14:20, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

In california you can't get insurance without a drivers license and you cant get registration without insurance. Personally I'd rather have *some* sort of means of making sure that they are insured, registered, and therefore trackable. Particularly since it appears that mexican ID may be about to be accepted as proof of ID.. for whatever that's worth. I'd much rather see it made easier to cross the border to work, then go home, and remain guest workers, but the current head in the sand method of dealing with a situation everyone knows is happening goes nowhere. Unless you know of thousands of wasp americans all just waiting in line to break their backs tending crops for less than minimum wage.

I usually avoid closet bigots when possible, thanks.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Too bad the Govenor of Kalifornia listened to you and now illegal aliens can drive. :/

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Actually, Living in H-Town SUCKS. But most of us live outside of the Beltway. Beaches (Galveston, Surfside) are close. Pretty decent saltwater fishing. Freshwater fishing is close (1-2 hour trip depending on where you go). For being fairly flat there are decent places to wheel. And if wifey wants to stay a nurse, the medical center is easy to get to, several hospitals, and UTMB Galveston are close. And with the industrial heavy economy (plants and supporting contractors) the job hunt should be fairly easy for you. Having been to El Paso, I'll take the Houston area hands down. JMHO

Reply to
<JBayless1

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

Oh the irony!!! LOL!

Reply to
Peter Parker

I live in Houston and think it's great. I had really negative impressions of the city before coming here, from negative things I had heard. Once I moved here I realized people who like to run down this city don't know what they're talking about.

Beautiful weather 8 months a year while the rest of the country is frozen in ice, lots of wheeling, easy beach/coastal access, 11,000+ restaurants, endless shopping and entertainment opportunities, huge employment market, and the cheapest land and housing of any major city in the US. (The combination of high paying jobs and low living expense is amazing. This is probably one of the only cities in the country where a middle-class household with a single wage-earner can comfortably own their own home and 2+ cars and send their kids to private school.)

The only negative is driving, due to the magnitude of the traffic and how spread out the city is. But you get used to that, and it's certainly not as bad as Atlanta or LA. Just live very close to work and Houston's darn near perfect.

Reply to
E.L. Lambert

As I said originally, my response pertained to Amarillo, not El Paso.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Nathan,

Having lived in Austin, Houston, and done extensive traveling throughout Texas -- I must tell you that many people (especially those in other Texas cities) are NOTORIOUSLY really, really bad about slamming Houston FOR NO VALID REASONS. They usually either:

-- talk about Houston as it was decades ago, not present-day

-- generalize the east-side industrial area to the entire city

-- are just totally ignorant about the facts

Houston tied with San Francisco and Honolulu on a recent SAFE big cities list. Many people have this idea that Houston is crime-infested, but they must be mixing it up with Dallas -- which currently has the worst crime rates in the state and the country for that matter.

Also, Houston probably has the best arts/culture and restaurant scene in the state. People either don't know this or don't want to recognize it. The only competition is Dallas. Austin is a "wannabe" in these areas.

Houston also has milder weather (summers not as hot and winters not as cold).

I'm not the only one who thinks Houston is a great place to live. Places Rated Almanac (one of the better sources for ranking places to live) ranks Houston in the top 10 in the nation overall, and the highest in Texas.

this is a much better source than these magazines that come outwith the occasional list... probably as a way to sell more magazinecopies.

Since moving to Houston, I've been appalled with all of the Houston-bashing from outsiders. I've even written a few reviews on Houston aimed at those who have criticisms about Houston or are interested in the subject... you might check them out.

jjp

You'll be missing out. Houston is the only Texas city rated in the top ten best places to live in Places Rated Almanac. Sounds like the ignorant Houston-bashers have already gotten to you though.

Reply to
jjp

When was the last time a real hurricane came to Houston, the early 80's?

Reply to
jjp

But for any VALID reasons?

Reply to
jjp

Again, VALID reasons?? Overall, Houston's a nice place to live. I lived in Austin prior, but I'm staying in Houston for now. It's definitely underrated.

Reply to
jjp

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

THANK YOU.

Exact same thing for me. I lived in Austin prior, they told me I was an idiot for even considering it. Damn, were they wrong.

Reply to
jjp