OT texas help

Reply to
Russ B

Just tossing in another thought here - Houston is nowhere near either El Paso or Amarillo, so if the wife is thinking of weekend visits with the family as being a plus, she might be disappointed.

El Paso to Houston is about 750 miles (11 hours) Amarillo to Houston is about 600 miles (9 hours)

Tirya

-- TDC Inca Jeeper A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep.

Reply to
Tirya

But SA (San Antonio) is very convenient to Houston... it's also a medical Mecca (must be a hundred hospitals). I'd choose SA over EP any day... I live in Austin, btw. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

id really appreciate that russ!

Nathan W. Collier

I've lived in both SA and Austin. San Antonio is pretty good but hotter in the summer than Austin. I still own a few acres on Lake Travis up by Marble Falls but haven't gotten to the point I can just retire and move back. Austin has really boomed since the last time I was stationed there but it's in the top 5 places I'd like to live. Being a Texan, I still think I'd give Great Falls a look before settling on AMA or ELP.

BTW, Nate, going just about anywhere in Texas from anywhere else in Texas is a day's drive . In my younger days working in the oil fields around Odessa we had to drive 40 miles to find a beer...

Reply to
Will Honea

it was a joke...

Reply to
Joe

No problem. I prefer you think that way.

Reply to
Jeepers

No-no. Una MAS cervesa, por favor.

Reply to
Jeepers

I was raised there. It's not a bad place at all. Big medical center.

Reply to
Jeepers

Ditto

Reply to
Jeepers

By what, 1 degree?

Reply to
Jeepers

Texas might be a good stepping-stone to the west. It was for me. Spent about 12 years there, first in Dallas, then in Austin. I moved to Dallas after growing up in the Chicago suburbs, and getting my BSEE at Purdue in Central Indiana. I have many fond memories of Texas - the pine forests of East Texas, Big Bend, the coast from Galveston to South Padre, trips to Mexico (including Bustamante), the Riverwalk in San Antonio, ... However, I left Texas for Wyoming not too long ago.

If you are like me, you will figure out that for the size that Texas is, it is sadly lacking in public lands and those that it does have are some distance apart. Which is one of the reasons I left. That, and the traffic, the unending heat and no real seasonal variations, roaches, fire ants, increasing Hispanic population, the entitlement mentality, ...

In contrast to Texas, only about 40% of the land in Wyoming is privately owned land. Something like 26 of 65 million acres. Granted, a significant amount of land is tied up in 100 year grazing leases and minerals exploration/exploitation and there isn't really any 'public' access to these 'public' lands. But there sure is a lot of public land that is accessible. Sheridan sits next to over a million acres of forested public land (the Bighorn National Forest) and even more high mountain desert on the other side in BLM land. Job opportunity wise, things are lacking unfortunately.

Montana might be a good choice - Billings or something. Things seem to be jumping a little more up there but they are in such dire straits financially. I don't see how they can fix things with out significant increases in taxation.

JELo in WYO

Reply to
JELo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Once the foam settles down in your mouth, see if you can find any of the early, non-rabid news articles which note that there are already *other* states which already allow undocumented aliens to get driver's licenses so they can be kept track of.

Approximately 9/26/03 12:12, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Amarillo web cam:

El Paso web cams (5) at
click on the yellow dots.

Reply to
Jeepers

and they are WRONG for doing it.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 9/26/03 13:47, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I could try to make sense out of that, but frankly it just gives me a headache. Besides, I was stationed at White Sands, managed expert in all rifle qualifications, and at white sands if some doofus took a shot at me, I had missiles...

Somehow I would rather see the folks who are driving anyway have licenses and insurance and be trackable for driving offenses. These all being of more concern to me since I also drive... the other stuff is a fairly low concern since I don't feel threatened in any way shape or form. Plus being part native american, you probably wouldn't want to get into an argument with me in person on the issue of who the country belongs to anyway, particularly if you espouse the might makes right philosophy.