Engine oil

I just changed the engine oil on my 1984 110 diesel with 15w40, and I can't help thinking... this is an old engine, should I have used something thicker?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

No. If the engine cannot maintain oil pressure with a 15w/40 then it is well shot. My 110 of the same age tends to thicken the oil with increased mileage. 5000 miles of short journeys is probably long enough even with ACEA E3/API CH4 oil due to soot deposition and consequent thickening.

Huw

Reply to
Huw