Oh bugger!!

Changed the lower tailgate today, not the easiest of jobs due to the very hard springs that are on the lower hinges. Managed to get the new one fit without wrecking it but there's a problem. I closed to lower tailgate & it shut fine & then tried the upper & that shut fine etc. Built it all back up & now the lower tailgate wont release. The trim that covers it means you cant get to the latch!!!

Anyone else had any problems like this & if so, how did you sort it??

Ta

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

I'm assuming that this is the later design with the internal release.

The trim isn't an issue. You can't get at the latch anyway unless you unbolt it from the side - which you obviously can't.

The only other access to the release rods is under the central handle.

Remove the escutcheon round the handle. Do this very carefully - it's a straight pull to release six (I think) very small plastic studs moulded into the rear face. Lever very gently. You're almost guaranteed to break at least some! Unscrew four trim retaining 'things' at the lower (hinge) side of the trim. Pull the hinge side of the trim away from the tailgate and slide downwards towards the hinge

- this will release the trim from a channel at the upper edge.

Undo six screws and the entire handle will release. You'll see the inner end of the lock release rods.

Not knowing how it's stuck, I'm afraid that I can't help further.

Reply to
Dougal

Sussed it, it's a sticking actuator, give it a good hard smack on the back of the tailgate & it frees up. I'll have it in bits again tomorrow.

It is coming together now, not many jobs to do to get it 100%

just!

Rear wheel bearing (i hope)

Heater O rings.

Shitty stiff steering all of a sudden.

Then we could be in for a period of calm for gods sake!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

It's a P38 matey, not a classic! But thank you anyway!

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirtbike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Oops! Where did I get that idea?

Glad you've sussed it anyway.

Reply to
Dougal

Dunno, it's even in me sig!!!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Don't bother reading them! Perhaps it's time to start.

Reply to
Dougal

Not as problem, at least you made the effort, in fact i'll go buy a RRC with a shagged tailgate just to use you advise matey!!!

;-)

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

How many do you want?

Reply to
Dougal

Best ask the wife!!!

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirt Bike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Now trying to purge from my memory that sketch from the muppet show where they play a tune on the little critters heads with a mallet.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D