OT, Humm ehhr??

Link provided by Ard @ Prikbord van landrover.pagina.nl

Martin IJspeert

On or around Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:49:53 +0000 (UTC), Martin IJspeert enlightened us thusly:

broken video code here, it's obviously supposed to be wmv.

I assume it's non-compliant site... I'll try it using IE.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well worth watching - a Hummer H2 is crawling over some smallish rocks when the sterring lets go and it ends up with both wheels pointing inwards.

Reply to
Exit

On or around Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:20:25 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

's too boodly big fro me to be arsed to download though, it was tlaking about 20 minutes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Might be something to do with the fact that the H2 is merely a jumped-up American SUV, not a purpose-built off road truck like the HMMVW

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Class. I bet that was stuck up there for a few days!!!

Not the kind of place you find an AA man is it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

ITYM "not a purpose-built off-road truck like the Series I Land Rover."

Reply to
David G. Bell

A HMMVW bears as much resembelance to a Series 1 Landrover as a 17ton HGV bears to a Transit.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You do know what the Transit did to create the modern British haulage industry?

Reply to
David G. Bell

And of course a Series 1, 17 tonner and a Transit are all a lot quicker than the Humvee I drove. . . . . .

Reply to
Exit

On or around Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:33:45 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

well, I downloaded it. summat's far too weak in that steering setup, if it breaks that easily.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No ??????????????????????

Reply to
Denis F

Briefly, it carried enough load to be useful, but slipped under the limits for the more onerous regulations of the time. In the fifties and sixties, getting the official permission to run a lorry (not just to drive it) was very difficult. Remember that most lorries were awkwardly small by modern standards, not much bigger than a Transit.

But the Transit was not, in law, a lorry.

There was also the effect of the nationalisation of the haulage industry, which did get reversed, but took a lot of small businesses off the roads. The Transit was the starting point for many small haulage businesses, replacing the ex-Army truck that had been the post-war starting point.

And remember that bulk loads were still unusual, on road or rail.

Reply to
David G. Bell

In article , David G. Bell writes

No, don't remember that at all, funnily enough.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

The Transit took over where the Thames van left off. For my money it'd be hard to rate either against 'tother as I loved my Thames, then used and abused my Transit beyond belief, thus earning a large amount of respect...

Reply to
Mother