RRC - removing wooden insert from top of gear slector

Or a DVD, there's a DVD install that you can boot from and try without needing to install anything. You can do the same with the CD install but the DVD install has a lot more on it. At least that's what I'm told, I've not tried it, not being interested in ubuntu.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ubuntu is great - if you can't install it and get everything working first time then something very weird is happening.

Reply to
EMB

Derek peers over Lee's shoulder while dusting off a spare 10 gig HDD just in case Linux hmm well I want to I only play the one game which is Linuxable but its the thought of networking to 2 XP encumbered machines thats stopping me sleeping can it be done without sacrificing whole flocks of Turkeys??

Derek if Vista is the answer it was a bloody stupid question in the first place

Reply to
Derek

Depends what you want to do, TCP/IP networking is easily done, mounting windows shares is pretty easy, and creating them needs samba which I think ubuntu installs automatically so you should be OK. You can download a CD image or get a DVD posted to you which you can use to boot a machine from to try it without any bother. Don't know where from though, do a a google for ubuntu, and it should pop out.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In news:yvMxh.70$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net, Derek wibbled :

I do like that sig|!

Reply to
GbH

If SAMBA is included, and its started the SWAT service on its internal webserver, (http://127.0.0.1:901 ? typically I think) setting up SAMBA is dead easy. Point your webbrowser at that link and SWAT should pop up. All the instructions are there too. Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

If you want to play first, and audition a few Linux versions, find their "live" distributions which run from Ramdisks and your DVD drive.

Knoppix is the first one I'd try to get a taster.

Kubuntu has a wide following too,

Personally I like OpenSuse as it is very good with odd hardware configs.

When you have got your feet wet, installation is very straight forward, and the systems install into spare space.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Well, getting Linux going was easy peasy, with the notable excpetion of re-partitioning the disc. I down loaded Ubuntu ok and made a CD, but had to re-partion the disc - for which I used Gnome Partition Manager - a Linux self running Linuxy thing which I now have an auto- run CD for. The main partition on the Dell was 79Gb (out of 80), so I chopped it in half - I was a tad scary (since the review I found said it screwed the disc), but all went well and the re-sized Windows partition is ok. Installing Ubuntu was a doddle, and I was particularly pleased that British English was separate from US English (though that should be English and US English in my book). Just about to have a go at Quasar now. I think a Windows free PC is on the cards..... The Linux installation, or rather the method of booting Linux rather than Windows, could have been better explained (they don't say which key to press - it took a while to find out it is F12)., but apart from that it was dead simple. If you want to borrow the CD's thats fine - it would save quite a bit of time! Absolutely no PC's were thrown out of windows in the making of this production.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Call me Mr. Impatient, but.....

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Have a look at the following, it's a rather popular desktop system that you might want to try sometime;

I've sent you to the screenshot page first because some of them, using the default Rox panel at the bottom of the screen, might inspire you to investigate further ;-) The first one on the page is one of them. I run the Rox filemanager, the best I've used since before I started using Linux.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ahhhh. return/escape from the dark side!

Reply to
GbH

I've been keeping half an eye on that for a while out of interest, so I might as well have a go with it!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Indeed - I'm going to miss Risc OS though, particularly the drag-and

-drop which makes producing invoices etc so easy with !Prophet, and the way files are accessed, though I belive the ROX filer should go some way to dealing with the latter. Let's just say it's the lesser (by a long way!) of two evils. I think I'll probably keep Risc OS for e-mail and news groups though.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You could try running an X server on Risc OS and using that to bring up Quasar on the Risc OS desktop, if you have any decent X servers on Risc OS then you should be able to use Risc OS as the window manager for the quasar windows, so Quasar would appear to be a Risc OS programme running on your desktop. I have no idea if there are any decent X servers available for Risc OS these days though. X allows the functionality (unlike VNC or Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol) but some clients aren't up to the job.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's a thought...... there was an X thingy by Gnome (a company, not the other one), probably long gone but....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hi Richard

Right, assuming that I 'prise it off' into a billion finger spiking splinters, is the bloody thing available (at a reasonable price!)

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

There's a few possibilities....

FRC8698 Cap - Gearstick Knob - 3.9 V8 4-Speed Auto - Range Rover Classic FTC2856 Cap - Gearstick Knob - Erable Walnut - 4.2 V8 4-Speed Auto - Range Rover Classic FTC2849 Cap - Gearstick Knob - Burr Walnut - 4.2 V8 4-Speed Auto - Range Rover Classic to LA647644 BTR9526 Cap - Gearstick Knob - Burr Walnut - 4.2 V8 4-Speed Auto - Range Rover Classic from MA647645 The only one Land Rover have stock of is...

BTR9526 at £2.03 inc VAT.

Don't break the old one!!!!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hi Richard

I suspect that it would be 'FRC8698' Apart from the colour (what is Burr Walnut?) I guess it would do. Is it worth your while supplying it

- what with postage etc?

So how do I get the ************ off without breaking it?

Messsage to all: Has anyone removed the wooden cap from the auto selector?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Mine was plastic.

Reply to
Dougal

To be a little more helpful ...

Are we talking about the knob with the detent paddle on the front edge as I am assuming or the detent knob on the side?

My cap is the plastic FRC8698. This needs to be pulled away from the knob at the front or rear lower edge to release a peg from a groove in the knob.

It would be nice to assume that all the caps shared the same knob which would lead one to expect a similar attachement method - perhaps that's asking too much.

Reply to
Dougal