That moving the thing around the country thing...

in article 1czi54bhs65mq.1hdbsk574ko5q$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net, Tony Boom at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 4/3/04 10:23 am:

Does mine too. My Dad was diagnosed with cancer of the kidney when I was

14, in 1984, and died just after Christmas in 1995 after they discovered it had spread to his lymph system. The Macmillian nurses were brilliant. There is also a little boy in the nursery at the kids school who has been diagnosed with cancer, and the school have been raising money to help his parents take him to Disney Land in Florida. I think they have just about reached the target, but he's too poorly to go at present.

So a either a cancer research charity or the Macmillian fund would be my choices.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Well, I've been 'living with cancer' for over 6 years now (I'm not overly bothered about it, by the way, everyone has to go sometime) and have witnessed close-on the work of MacMillan. They were also quite smashing when helping a good friend last year (now deceased) during his last few months. I'd also like to support the superbly inspirational work of the Alzheimer's Society (the 101 club raised

700 odd quid in the last couple of years, 't be nice to 'top this' to a 'round' 1,000).
Reply to
Mother

Twas Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:53:22 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

I'd vote for a cancer charity, taken more than one friend of mine.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

May be a good idea ;-)

I've written a brief draft 'history' and 'why' of this, can anyone else contribute to, or comment upon the wording?

Mother

Twas Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:44:30 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

great... but do we have the people to move him?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 4/3/04 11:53 am:

My Dad wasn't expected to live 6 months when they found the second lot of cancer. Proved them all wrong and carried on for 7 years before he refused any more treatment. I'm just glad he lived long enough to see two of his Grandchildren.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I reckon there'll be more than enough by the time it's launched :-)

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 4/3/04 12:44:

I think that you should know that PT is a "rescued ted" insomuch as i found him looking rather forlorn inn the back of 096 , the dustcart on which I work , having survived the compactor I honestly could not bring myself to send it round again with him in the back. He found his way into the cab and , dispite more crys from my fellow crewe mmbers of "yet more crap in the cab" I prevented him from rejoining the compactor by calling the rest of the crewe heartless B*****ds. Daisy my 109 Srs1 was at work that day and PT found himself a safe spot behind the passengers seat from which to watch the world go by. PT survived a kidnap attempt when I recovered him (yet again) from the clutches of my 12 year old daughter as she was tucking him in her bag to take him home with her and has lead a quiet life since then. He is a clean ,good natured bear wit a liking for loud rock music, leastways he hasn't complained yet.

Just as a point of intrest my better half who teaces pre school children thought PT travels would make a great book for youngsters.

Reply to
Rory Manton

in article c26t0d$drh$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Neil Brownlee at snipped-for-privacy@pccontrolNOSPAMsystems.com wrote on 4/3/04 9:30:

If I can get my digital to download I will post you some .

Reply to
Rory Manton

Fantastic! I've added this to the 'history' page :-)

Reply to
Mother

Posh Ted is most welcome to come to Heywood and visit our 101's and our plethora of bears etc.

Personally I would vote for Cancer Research UK as one of the charities.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

In news:BC6CE24F.BC7C% snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk, Rory Manton sprayed:

Yer daft búggers!

Reply to
GbH

In news:N3H1c.2733$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net, GbH sprayed:

Think I'd better qualify that before I'm excommunicated or otherwise vilified by all and sundry. I'm refering to rescuing a teddy bear, not transporting said bear hither and thither. Which, for charity is a fine idea, with, if I may be so bold, just the right amount of daft. Cancer, fine, contibuted to the demise of my dad, Altzheimers, also fine, me mum's got that, not in the least bit funny.

Reply to
GbH

in article BC6CE24F.BC7C% snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk, Rory Manton at snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 4/3/04 1:40 pm:

He'll be OK at ours then.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Indeed - I'm sure Neil will build this in :-)

Reply to
Mother

Indeed ;-)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Who is going to co-ordinate this thing and also how?

How will we know where and what time the change over's will be, will we all need radios or mobile phones for the change over?

Obviously it can't be accomplished in a single day so who pays for the hotels overnight etc :)

Reply to
Tony Boom

Twas Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:16:23 +0100 when Tony Boom put finger to keyboard producing:

I had some thoughts on that.. firstly GPS, there has to be a company that sells/rents GPS that would love some publicity, se someone (not me, oh no) asks them to loan us a nice posh GPS thing that we can use to guide drivers to the dealers etc that we'll be collecting money from. whoever organises this will need to have all the locations for collection planned and routed first, big task there alone.

Also I thought about each driver drives to the south x miles to a pick-up point and collects PT, then the driver visits a fe places between there and home, then stays at home overnight, next day the driver takes PT to some more dealers heading north and meets the next driver there. you see what I mean? trouble is, as far as I know I'll be driving from lands end up to Austin in wales....., we need to see how many folks we can get.. these guys here aer based down in west cornwall...

anyone want to see if they will cover westcornwall to me?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I'd seen it more as an ongoing thing - drop-offs rather than hot-swapping Ted like a relay baton. In which case all we really need to know is where the bear is.

Blinking bear can stay in the glove compartment!

Beware however - in Iceland we lost a mascot through an open window on a tight bend. To lose the bear would be a disaster to the whole event.

David

Reply to
David French