Dipped Headlights.

Yes, I agree. That sort of thing is much more sensible and constructive, and it needs deploying much more widely - with attention being given to general matters of safety and good road behaviour, with particular messages designed to help individual groups within the whole educational process.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

You can't educate some people, even with a LART, sadly.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I can't disagree with that.

(Ducks as a squadron of pigs makes a low pass.)

Reply to
Brimstone

James Dore ( snipped-for-privacy@new.ox.ac.uk (James Dore)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I think I know the one you're referring to, but give us a clue.

Reply to
Adrian

It certainly would, and if the authorities want to do something intelligent and constructive, as opposed to simply wielding their power in an extremely crude fashion, that's the way things will have to go.

Going the educational route would of course cost money, however they do it, but to my mind it would soon show an overall profit. In any case, the way the government has been doing things in recent years has also cost money, and apart from speed camera revenue and similar penalties paid by drivers, there appears to have been relatively little benefit.

Quite apart from all the deaths and injuries suffered, road accidents obviously cost a great deal in economic terms, when everything is taken into account, and it's all such a terrible waste, so on cost grounds alone there is much to be gained, and that's before we mention anything to do with the improved driving environment we could have.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

TripleS (TripleS ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The biggest problem with that ad, imho, is that plenty of car drivers will see that and think "ah, it's aimed at idiot bikers" without realising it's equally applicable to them.

Reply to
Adrian

That is how the new Think! advert should have finished.

In the same way the term 'dangerous road' is used as an excuse for poor driving, this new advert does exactly the same thing. The clues ARE easy to spot in real life, so the end of the advert should have been, 'The clues are there in real life'!

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

Raymond Keattch (Raymond Keattch ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmmm. People who know that already aren't the target.

"They're not that obvious - THINK!" does seem to carry about the right balance of message for Joe Normal, imho.

Reply to
Adrian

It's a minor road that runs from the A418 by a pub the name of which I can never remember to Haddenham. I used to rag it along there in the TR, but only on dry sunny days :->

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

No, but it's fun trying. Depends also on your value(s) of LART.

Reply to
James Dore

James Dore ( snipped-for-privacy@new.ox.ac.uk (James Dore)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not where I was thinking, but I know where you mean.

Reply to
Adrian

Again, that suggests a get out clause for an accident - 'it was a dangerous road' or 'I didn't see the clue as it wasn't obvious'.

I would much rather the advert made it clear the clues are there for the driver/rider who is prepared to look for them. I would prefer a driver think they missed a clue they should have seen, rather than be told 'don't worry, clues are hard to spot, it isn't your fault'.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

Yes, that's quite likely, in which case it needs modifying to stress that most of the hazards being shown there are applicable to other road users too. It's the general awareness and thinking processes that need to be re-kindled.

We can't expect these things to come right immediately, but so long as it's a good start and we continue to improve it, I think it's welcome steps in the right direction.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Because in th days of dynamos it stopped your battery going flat whilst driving round town.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I used to like the old DRL sidelights that saab/volvo used, but constant headlights is idiotic. More nanny state bollox.

Reply to
mike

It would do some of the modern breed of drivers good to have to live with feeble dynamos, and do a bit of worrying about battery power! That's not to say I'm in favour of driving about with inadequate lighting, but it would cure some of these idiots that leave headlights on when parked at the roadside, or when they're stopped in filling stations etc.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

The pub is the Bugle Horn. They've recently added both 50 and 40 limits but towards the aylesbury end nowhere near the dip. I agree it is a great road to rag along in the right conditions :-) Plenty of people do take the piss though and it can be lethal in the wet.

Reply to
Tom

I have friends living in Haddenham, and sadly I knew exactly where you meant! It's notorious locally.

Reply to
Doctor D

He should put up a sign saying "in the event of you crashing having ignored the dip sign, please call in for a tow. Only £20, or £10 for regular users"

Reply to
Peter Hucker

They're for when it's dark/foggy. NOT when it's daylight.

Reply to
Peter Hucker