Getting a copy of an MOT cert

If you had said that you were trying to get a tax disc for next month there is a chance someone would have sussed it, people rarely spend money before they have to.

I agree that DVLA are not the most communicative about errors like that: another example is if you try to Sorn a vehicle a day too early: you get a cryptic message that says you cannot do it, no mention of do it tomorrow, and what difference does a few days or weeks make on a SORN? You know if you are not going to use the car.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mr Cheerful (for whose advice I'm always grateful), said "probably because the car has not got an MoT". This turned out to be wrong. You've invented the "queried the expiry date". Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They check it online - just need the insurance cert as far as paperwork goes.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Of course, I should have said that the car probably has not got an MOT that will still be valid in 21 days time. If you had mentioned trying to buy a tax that far in the future then the idea might have cropped up.

The only time I have heard of people trying to buy a tax disc that far in advance has been when they knew the MoT was due and likely to be expensive. The way around that is to get a refund on the existing tax disc and buy another the month before MoT expiry, that way you get around 11 months of driving around without an MoT, but with a valid tax disc. The fine for no MoT is quite low compared with the cost of an MoT/work.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

See what you mean. From a private seller's PoV tho I'd just show them one of those services that lists whether it's got a valid MoT. If I was feeling generous, I'd even print it out!

Reply to
Scott M

It is odd, but buyers want something they can see at that moment. I once sold a car that had a shortly to expire MoT (month or two) I offered the car on the basis that I would get and pay for the next MoT when it was due, but people did not want that, so I got a new 12 month mot and the car sold straight away.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Question 2 of the Online application says: The vehicle has an MoT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if required). This must be valid when the tax disc starts. Yes or no.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's a definite hassle-factor involved there, not to mention the extra trust you're asking for.

Given that it'd only have been a couple of weeks before you could have put a 13-month MOT on it, I have to admit that I'd have been sceptical, too.

Reply to
Adrian

It has always been an anomaly that you can get a 13 month ticket within the last month of expiry, but can only get a 12 month ticket if there is more than a month left on the old one.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Agreed. It'd make sense to have a 13-mo cap, but to extend that cap to any time in advance of a month to expiry.

Reply to
Adrian

It didn't occur to me that 21 days was "that far". ;-)

Anyhow. Mystery solved and I won't get caught out like that again.

Thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For information over this thread.

One problem that can occur is that the VOSA and DVLA databases do not match. This often happens when a vehicle is sold, and a new V5C document is issued, this always has a new Doc Ref Number which causes problems with the VOSA database. Or if there has been a personalised plate fitted there can again be problems.

VOSA are "in charge" of the MOT, DVLA are "in charge" of VED

In Northern Ireland reminders are sent to the registered owner 7 weeks before expiry of the old MoT, it is advised that you book an MoT immediately that you receive the reminder. It appears that there are very few MoT places overthere, and they are open very long hours (8am -

8.30pm) You can book the test online or go direct to the MoT place.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

They are all government-operated too.

Reply to
The Revd

there was a greast website called

you need the vin number and registration number though.

Reply to
Stephen

ISTR that in case of connection problems, an MOT can be issued "off-line" and the tester must then upload it to the database later. It is possible that a valid certificate has been issued, but accidentally not put onto the database.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I don't see how there can be a valid certificate since it's simply a computer print out. The old certificate was printed on a proper press and embossed with the MOT garage stamp, as well as signed by the tester. All designed to deter forgery.

Of course if the car has passed an MOT and those details are on the garage computer, it would be legal regardless of bits of paper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's the situation if you could be out of the country before the earliest allowable renewal date and aren't due back until after the expiry date? There are many pensioners that move over to Spain for up to three months of the year and some may take their car with them. Obviously MOT can be sorted before going, insurance can renew while away, but tax? I suppose they could cancel the current one for a refund and buy a new one, but that means doubling up for a month unless you can do it at month end or Sorning it for a while.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Would online renewal work?

Reply to
Davey

Buy it online. Then get whoever's handling your post while you're away to forward it.

OK, you might not be displaying the current disc for a while, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not the end of the world.

Worked fine for us whilst we were travelling in the camper for 18mo. Not being able to get an MOT without returning was the biggest issue - we ended up without one for 6mo, then drove straight to a pre-booked test when we got off the ferry.

Reply to
Adrian