Getting a copy of an MOT cert

Re-taxed mine on 31 October - local village PO man looked at MOT, insurance, and renewal paperwork. No computer anywhere that would have allowed him to check on-line ...

Reply to
Graham J

Can she not renew online?, ISTR that all they need to know is that the cert's .. MOT and Insurance are valid...

Reply to
tony sayer

You should be able to find the MOT's for some years now and the fail reasons least I can do that with my cars..

Reply to
tony sayer

They kinda did, in that they told you that there's no valid MOT when the tax starts.

Reply to
Adrian

But only if there is a record of it at the DVLA. The OP says such a record does not exist.

Reply to
alan

really unusual to try and buy road tax this early in the month

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If the DVLA don't have details, it doesn't exist.

Reply to
The Revd

Mmm. Good point. Another few days before you can, even for a renewal. I wonder whether they check the ticket & insurance before they get to that bit in the "Can we issue a new disc?" checklist.

Reply to
Adrian

It sounds very iffy to me. If she bought the car then she should ask the local plod to have a look at it. It has either expired and she is having a blond moment or has been sold a car with a fake MOT.

Reply to
Passion fruit

Just to throw my 2p in (long after the debate's over!), about 15 years ago I requested a reprint of the MoT from the garage that did it as I couldn't find it at tax time. The cost was about 1/2 that of having an MoT for probably less than 6 months remaining. Would've been cheaper just to re-MoT the damn thing!

Reply to
Scott M

It used to be much more trouble than it is today, lots of manual searching. Garages were able to charge whatever they wanted and 50 percent was the common amount. Nowadays the difficulty is trifling and the fee is, I believe capped at 10 pounds.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Good news! And just in time to never need a paper copy ever again... ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

"for whatever reason, the DVLA don't have the details"

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But they don't. With hindsight it's easy to make that interpretation but all they actually tell you is that you can't renew on-line and that you'll have to go to a post office. Not WHY you have to go to a post office or what is wrong with your current MOT.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

you do, the average buyer wants a physical mot, despite its lack of value.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Except they did.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, again, yes, they did but that wasn't what they SAID. It would have been much clearer if they'd explicitly said "Your current MOT expires (on ../../..) which is before the start of your next road tax registration period. Consequently you must renew your MOT prior to renewing your road tax."

You you can be as smartarsy as you like but not a single person on this group mentioned that possibility before so it's not blindingly obvious from the way the DVLA currently phrases things.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not exactly true, is it?

Fifteen minutes after your original post, I pointed you to the VOSA online MOT query, which would have given the expiry date and cleared the problem up.

OK, you were playing Chinese whispers with your daughter, who presumably had the V5C number you need to do that. But only two hours after your original post, MrCheerful explicitly queried the expiry date of the MOT - to which you replied "I'm sure it came with one". What was that about "smartarsy"?

Reply to
Adrian

And, of course, who would keep track of when their MoT ran out?

How obsessive would that be?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Wrongly.