Petty police

And you expect that a full level of concentration can be maintained when you're driving for 30 or 40 hours a week? Driving *has* to become second nature and not require a massive amount of continuous 'conscious thought' with the ability to notice those 'danger signs' and then switch to full attention on the task.

Reply to
deadmail

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm not sure that the phone's particularly important in that observation, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Presuming this is following up to my post and not Duncan's...

Actually, I wouldn't. There are plenty of people I know with the skill to use a phone when driving and also the common sense to know when not to use one. That's probably the majority.

See other post. There's a lack of concentration when you're listening to the radio as well.

Reply to
deadmail

Hence why you'll only find out that the phone makes a difference when you screw up.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As would listening to the radio, adjusting the rear view mirror, discussing something with a passenger etc. etc. etc.

Reply to
deadmail

Wrong. Amber means stop, unless to do so would cause an accident. At least that's what it used to say in the HC, I haven't checked recently.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I've checked now. it says-

Junctions controlled by traffic lights

175 You MUST stop behind the white 'Stop' line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

GOOD.

Irrelevent.

By the warning lamp you're required to have by law and will fail an MOT=20 for if it doesn't work.

Because they did their job? you a career criminal or something? =20

You committed an offence and got caught for it. There is, by law, a fog=20 light warning lamp telling you they're on.=20

Too many wankers drive with their front fogs on and thankfully the=20 Police are clamping down.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Why? The position of the light is irrelevent.

Reply to
Conor

In so much that it doesn't comply with the Construction and Use Regulations and would fail an MOT.

Missing the fact that there's no check for their aim in an MOT and many are put out of alignment when people hit kerbs.

Reply to
Conor

Are you sure? Every Ford I've driven recently requires you to PULL OUT the light button to turn the foglights on.

Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Care to show where?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well go and have a go at those, phones have a significantly higher distraction rate.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Rears...OK

Reply to
Conor

My neighbours are troublemaking piss/pot (depending what mood they are in) heads. I saw one of them coming out of the off licence with a bag full of Fosters at 15 years of age, so I phoned the Police. 'Did you see them buy it', I was asked, I hadn't so they said there was nothing they could do. I remarked that in any case they were drinking underage and was told that they could not be expected to stop teenagers drinking, it simply wasn't realistic.

It wouldn't be so bad if the police were operating where it matters, not getting their knickers in a twist over fog lights while the country goes to the dogs.

Reply to
R D S

R D S ("R D S" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There is no legal minimum age for _drinking_.

Reply to
Adrian

Conor (Conor ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. The thread was about fronts...

Reply to
Adrian

Petty Police

Got pulled over and fined at the weekend for having my front fog lights on.

Explanation was quite simple I'd just put a kitchen sink in the front passenger seat of my car and must have caught the switch. It's a fiesta so the front fog light switch is on the far left of the dash next to the passenger.

I was amazed to get a £30 fine for it. It wasn't even dark and people were only just switching their lights on. So how was I supposed to spot this? He could even see the sink as I explained that is what must have happened.

Result all faith in the police lost. Not that there was much of that in the first place.

I have to say that I knew I was getting a fine as soon as the police opened his mouth. Real arse.

10 or so years ago you would have just been sent on your way. This country really is going to the dogs.

What really annoys me though is that in the 15 minutes it took to write out the ticket we blocked a lane of traffic and a cycle lane holding up traffic at a busy period. Have they no brains or what.

Anybody else had such nonsense?

sounds like the mark3 festa. piddly yellow dull light in the switch. there is no dash warning light.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

A scum bag dss family got dumped into a rented house in our street. One day they fired an air rifle at my front door breaking the glass and sending glass shards 15 feet into the kitchen. They had previously been warned by the police after firing at a street cleaner. I found the pellet. Yet the police would do nothing as I had not actually seen them fire. There was no where else that the pellet could have come from either, due to my front door being recessed from the front of the building.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

To put a slightly sideways step in here. I recently went to Taunton and picked up a couple of local papers whilst there. I think it was Bridgewater where the local council had taken over collecting parking fines from the police and were now in the position that there was a huge short fall (over a million pounds IIRC)in their budget because people were parking better hence fewer fines.

Is it just me or can any normal person explain why a council should think it sensible to rely on parking tickets to fund their budget. Surely the ideal situation with parking tickets is everyone obeying the rules and a zero income. At least that's what I've always thought the purpose of these fines was, as a deterrent.

Reply to
malc