Petty police

With this level of understanding is it any wonder that so many people get killed and seriously injured on the roads each year?

Reply to
Brimstone

That's your daft assertion.

'Headlights' means *either* dipped ot full-beam but not 'sidelights'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Basic principle.

You can choose to do it unless expressly forbidden. You can choose not to do it unless expressly required.

You can choose to drive around with sidelights or headlights on - any time, any place - unless it's night and you're outside a streetlit area, when you MUST have headlights on.

Headlights meaning dip or main beam, not sidelights.

Reply to
Adrian

You might find it difficult to believe (you thinking you're the centre of the universe, Mr super intelligent and all that) but I suspect that Eeyore probably wouldn't want you as a friend, he seem to prefer intelligent people.

Reply to
Brimstone

Finally!!

Reply to
Gonz

You can choose, is not what it says anywhere. You can't just keep sayin what you want it to mean... If you're in the mood , if you can be arsed, if you can be bothered...

It is, you must, and an except.

Reply to
Gonz

Exactly! That's all down to it not bein clear enuff to some, and gospel to others.

Reply to
Gonz

You have conveniantly snipped out this part... "except on a road which has lit street lighting."

So when we add it back in, even though you are sayin that it's my daft assertion that we have to have our headlights on, headlights means

*either* dipped or full beam, but not sidelights, you are agreein with me that we must have these on, except on a road which has street lighting.
Reply to
Gonz

Am I steppin on your toes?

Eeyore... this one fancies you, I think. He's in for a shock when he finds out you're not as well hung, as he thinks you are :o)

Reply to
Gonz

It's perfect;y clear to the majority. If you were to stop trying to make it mean what you think it should mean and learn to understand what it does mean life would be very much easier.

Reply to
Brimstone

Again your inability to read and understand shines through.

Reply to
Brimstone

I suggest you read the context of my reply again, and you'll see that it's you that have the inability to read and understand.

Reply to
Gonz

It is not. When it can be made perfectly clear, then, and only then, is it perfectly clear.

Reply to
Gonz

How would you define at what time of day they became illegal to use as the hours of darkness aren't at a constant from one day to another? What if its overcast? Is every copper required to carry around a light meter?

Reply to
Conor

Again, your inability to read and understand shines through.

Reply to
Brimstone

Again your inability to read and understand shines through.

Reply to
Brimstone

Again, You have proved my point.

Reply to
Gonz

Again, you have proved my point.

Reply to
Gonz

The except stops it being a "you must", or a "you may not", it doesn't turn you must into you must noy Or you may not into you must. Yiu don't have to carry a passenger if you've got a seat fitted.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...where we don't need to, but are free to do so if we wish.

Yes, congratulations, you're finally there...

Fuck, that took some time...

Reply to
Adrian