Petty police

I'm fairly sure, as others have suggested, that it only applies to rear lights.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Me too. I'd just like to be able to cite a reference.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've commented here before about the Ford Focus TV ad that points out the 'sporty front foglights'. Says it all really for an awful lot of drivers. They can be useful in a dark, foggy country lane if the fog is that bad it reflects back your dipped beam- then you can turn off the dip and use sidelights + fog lamps. Not much use unless conditions are very bad and you are going slowly though, and no use whatsoever on an avrage road around here.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No he isn't. You're a daft troll.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Pity your admission doesn't allow you to be billed 30 quid per day you've had that commute..

So what the f*ck is wrong with your (non-fog) lights? Are they pointing into the eyes of oncoming drivers?

It might make you get headlights that work?

Reply to
David Taylor

You MUST: use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

So we're all drivin illegaly by havin our headlights on? Either it's not clear, or it's true.

I actually can't see how it's unclear, as it's as clear as it can be.

Reply to
Gonz

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Your comprehension is lacking.

If the road does not have lit street lighting, you must use headlights (by which it means dip or main beam) If the road does have lit street lighting, you can also use sidelights. It doesn't say you can't use dip/main beam with street lighting.

Reply to
Adrian

It actually says, you can't use headlights if the road is already lit. You're sayin that it doesn't say you can't use dip/main beam if there is street lighting. It says you must (except) on a road with street lighting.

They use the terms...

Side lights Headlights Dipped headlights Main beam

on that page.

How are we supposed to interpret WTH they're goin on about? How many types of light is there on a car? Isn't the normal assumption of the term headlights, to be just that... headlights?

Reply to
Gonz

He was just helping you get your eyeliner straight.

Reply to
manatbandq

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it doesn't, you illiterate mong.

That's right. Because it doesn't say that.

Correct. You must, except where it isn't necessary to.

As a legal minimum? Side, dip, main.

Correct. Which means dip or main as appropriate.

Reply to
Adrian

Is there any need for the abuse?

It does say that, that's the point.

It's got nothing to do with bein whether it's necessary or not.

Can't be dip, as dip is mentioned later.

You really haven't got a clue have you?

Reply to
Gonz

He isn't. Even less so on a road he knows.

Reply to
Conor

Irrelevent. It's still illegal.

Reply to
Conor

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Is there any need for the illiteracy, pig-headedness and stupidity?

"You MUST" means "it is necessary for you to".

You're talking to yourself now?

It's very clear to those of us the sum of whose IQ and reading age is above room temperature. On a cold day. With broken heating.

Now go and play in the traffic and leave the grown-ups to talk.

Reply to
Adrian

Who you tryin to kid? Everyone knows you're just as thick as your name implies.

Reply to
Gonz

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...says Mr " snipped-for-privacy@secret.com"

Reply to
Adrian

No, Must means you must, not you must only.

Yes, it clearly says that when there's no streetlights you MUST use your headlights, if there's street lighting you MAY drive with only sidelights. Nowhere does it say you MUST NOT use headlights.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Eh?

Agreed. Must: to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.

Where does it say MAY? So we can turn our headlights off, or we must turn our headlights off?

You MUST: Except... Doesn't you must, except, mean law must, except, mean you must not?

If it meant what you said it means, then what does 'you must wear a seatbelt, except...' mean? It doesn't say you MUST NOT, does it?

Reply to
Gonz

NO.

It says that headlights are *optional* on lit streets.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

But shouldn't be IMHO. If they actually dazzled anyone that would be another matter of course.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore