Petty police

Gonz ("Gonz" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Because that's a fundamental principle of all UK law. It doesn't say anywhere in law that you can read a newspaper in the morning if you like, but you don't have to. By your assertion, that means you mustn't, because it doesn't say you must.

...except when there's no need to - in which case you can if you like.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, yes, but you're doing that quite well on your own.

(You are trying to prove you're a complete moron, right?)

Reply to
David Taylor

I'm not quite sure how you got there but you do seem to have grasped it now.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I wasn't aware that foot size correlates with intelligence.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The official hours of daylight used to be printed on the front of most newspapers. If you're in a built-up area and the street lights aren't on and there's not a power cut

- you may safely assume it's officially daylight.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Adrian you have to think like him, the red ones are the ones that he sees through his bloodshot eyes, caused no doubt to his activities alone in his room.

Reply to
JFGrieve

Can you tell me when & where you will be driving, I want to make sure that I am nowhere near that place.

Reply to
JFGrieve

Not good enough. There are times where it can be darker in the middle of the day than dusk without streetlights coming on. I was in such a place yesterday.

Reply to
Conor

JFGrieve ("JFGrieve" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

NOOOOO! PLEASE GOD NO! I DON'T THINK I COULD COPE!

Reply to
Adrian

Then they were poorly adjusted. The fog/auxiliary front lights on a new, properly maintained car do not dazzle oncoming drivers. They are simply no designed that way.

Reply to
Silk

Silk (Silk ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, yes, exactly.

And on a several year old car, where the bumper's been nudged into kerbs umpteen times, whilst the lights've not actually ever checked or adjusted?

Reply to
Adrian

DING! Many are.

That's a new car though.

Reply to
Conor

You can adjust them to be _wider_ ? They're perfectly adjusted (checked just a couple of weeks ago), and there's 6 new bulbs in the front.

Unlike the twisty roads in Conor's sylvan paradise, this road is also knee-deep in unlit stealth cyclists.

No fog lights, you can't see where the kerb ought to be.

With the lights on, you can. This is markedly safer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights."

So if dipped headlights (mounted above the required minimum height) are a _requirement_, and if front fogs are mounted lower down and correctly adjusted, pray tell us how they can either "dazzle other road users", or "can obscure your brake lights" ?

This clause is admittedly badly worded to be so unclear, but neither of these conditions can reasonably be said to apply to a front fog light.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

rule 226 "You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So was the OP pulled and fined for having mis-adjusted lights? Or for using any lights, even if they were incapable of dazzling.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Futhermore I haven't seen any modern fogs that can be readily adjusted.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Have you had an eyesight test recently?

Reply to
deadmail

I think that's true, but even if it's not a matter of being dazzled, the extra light sources and glare do slightly worsen the visibility for the driver facing them. It does seem more difficult to see past them. IMHO the misuse of fog lights should be discouraged as should the misuse of lights generally, which is an increasing problem at this time of year.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

I've got to pop over to Little Witley in Worcester later. It's mostly all country lanes anyway round there, so I'll have my fogs on anyway.

Reply to
Gonz