Tyres!

I challenge you to name a tyre place that will fit new brand name tyres, as you say, for £48 a corner. However, it wont be relevant for me for until 2-3 years time.

Reply to
johannes
[...]

And of course we all know that van owner-drivers are the best people to ask about road safety...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Really? On a damp greasy road using teflon Ling-Longs you could unstick an average car at 15-20mph.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

How about one that proves the reverse?

http://t.co/mTsiHW0p

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Judging by how well maintained they generally are.....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Indeed.

It was a pretty weak argument anyway; you could happen to look at a BT van, an AA van, an RAC van, a PO van etc all of which will be fitted with decent tyres.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Worrying. What's the point of having tyres that will stand your car on it's nose in an emergency stop if the white van behind you has a set of LiDL Slicks all round? ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I don't think that was his point... I don't like white vans on my tail for various reasons.

Reply to
Gordon H

But even the 'LingLong' doesn't fare that bad. The best tyre NOKIAN has wet braking distance = 44m, obviously a special 'wet' tyre. Hence it may be noisy and wear fast? Medium brand name tyres are around 38m dry and 50m wet. The LinLong is 39.1m dry and 60.5m wet. Not really a huge difference if you drive carefully in the wet. I never trust wet roads anyway, there are so many other unknowns.

Reply to
johannes

Dunno what size an MX5 is, but for 165/80/13s Uniroyal Rainexperts

49.16 a tyre fitted, when you buy 4. Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

205/55/16 £71.59 when bought separately or less than 4. Doesn't say if balancing is included or disposal charge is included? However, still good price, I'll give you that. But as said, too late now.
Reply to
johannes

thats still the length of three cars hatchbacks

Reply to
steve robinson

At 60.5m-50m , no it isn't. A small hatchback is just below 4m, and you have to include the road space if you mean three cars in line. However,the point is that you can no doubt go on forever fitting performance tyres, but it depends what you want them for. It is back to the "If only" madness which you can never predict. Just keep the distance OK. Don't tailgate! Don't rush! Don't be an impatient driver!

Reply to
johannes

It would be interesting to calculate how much speed you would still be travelling at when the better quality tyres have already stopped, if it is 3 smallish car lengths then I would guesstimate at over twenty miles an hour, which is one heck of a whack if you hit something solid, like the back of a truck.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

yet bizarrely, white vans have a good record accident wise !

Reply to
Mrcheerful

ok so your argueing over half a meter,

Reply to
steve robinson

What's to point of 3 cars nose to nose? That doesn't happen on the road; there are gaps between the cars; two seconds at 30mph is 28m !

Reply to
johannes

What's the point of 3 cars nose to nose? That doesn't happen on the road; there are gaps between the cars. Two seconds at 30mph is 28m !

and 10.5m at 30mph is 0.76 Sec. and 10.5m at 60mph is 0.38 sec

Shows how little it means in practice.

Reply to
johannes

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:20:44 +0100, johannes drooled:

Are you being obtuse on purpose, or are you really this stupid.

What happens if something pulls out on you that's 3 smallish car lengths away?...

FFS.

Reply to
Mike P

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:54:23 +0000, steve robinson drooled:

He's also ignoring the fact that other traffic sometimes appears from side roads without looking, and you have to stop. Or pedestrians walk out from behind parked cars.. or kids run out....

Reply to
Mike P