Ideas to the floor please.

They have... I did - the Surf model which seems to fetch f*ck all.

The more normal Hi-Lux, not sure I'd want one due to the attractiveness to pikeys.

You'd never lose any money on one anyway, which is nice. :-)

Reply to
JackH

He said circa 30mpg, not 13mpg.

Not in terms of fuel they're not.

Reply to
JackH

2.5 diesel.

HTH.

Might not quite hit 30mpg, but they're so cheap to buy in the first place, it doesn't really matter. IMHO, YMMV.

Reply to
SteveH

They're also utterly awful to drive.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ann's 4.0 does about 20mpg (US gallons) in normal driving so they're not that bad.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

It's a 4x4..... I wouldn't expect anything else. ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

They're utterly awful to drive compared to the 4.0 petrol one, that is.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Perhaps I'm being too fussy, but I am going nowhere near the shitty wop diesel engine in Cherokees.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think you're being fussy.

In terms of getting the newest and least battered 4x4 for your money, the Cherokee wins hands down.

A grand will get something barely 10 years old.

Reply to
SteveH

New and unbattered weren't in the original criteria. They are a factor, but my trampolining neighbours opinion of what I drive is of little or no concern to me.

As Diesels go, my undertanding is that the motor in the Cherokee has a rep for munching head gaskets (there are 4) and being tricky to put right properly unless in the right hands.

£1000 or not, I don't want that. I also can't find one locally on the t'internet for cheap.

...that isn't a cherokee. (c:

I'd rather have a Disco. And I don't really want a Disco.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes, I flogged my LPG 4 litre for a grand..

AFAIR the 2.5 diesel has some bizarre head gasket arrangement and they fail often.

Reply to
Mike P

Is she a nun? I got a maximum readout of 18.1mpg out of mine (UK model) when running on petrol. I once managed to get 210 miles out of 55 litres of LPG on a motorway run, cruise set at 70mph, which equates to about 17.5 mpg..

Reply to
Mike P

I can get that on longer runs on that one, too. Mind you, once it goes vaguely off-road, the fuel consumption falls off a cliff.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo once did write:

That's ok - without googling, I'm fairly certain US gallons are actually smaller than ours, so that's reasonably impressive, that.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

"AstraVanMann" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

3.8 liters to 4.5 litres in one of ours - so 20mpusg is just over 23.5mpig
Reply to
Adrian

f*ck that offends my eyes to the point where i was about to rip the out.... then i realised i can just close IE

Reply to
Vamp

i don't mind cherokee's but i've never met an owner who would say 'i'd have another' we had a late 4.7 V8 at work, we traded it for just over 4k in the end and i think it was only an 05 at the time petrol was silly money but i was well tempted just for the noise! my offer of 3k was seen as taking the piss considering it booked at around 7k which there was no way in the world it would get!

Reply to
Vamp

Our work grand cherokee petrol came with 9 months MOT, needs a tyre, a cv boot, and welded hanger on the exhaust box for the next one.

Was £1400. 4 litre petrol, auto 4x4 16 US MPG.

Cruise, electric memory heated everything.

Rolled arrounds like a wobbly head on the road, but never had a failure to start, even when it was left for 3 weeks between uses.

Reply to
Elder

And when I asked how bad they were, what was the opinion?

Reply to
Elder

Utter s**te.

But they're just so spectacularly cheap, even for a good example of the breed, that they do almost make sense these days.

Reply to
SteveH