Lexus LS400? Luxury everyday or money pit waiting to happen?

So having a go at me for not driving an Alfa isn't personal? - from where I'm sitting it is.

Which are all true.

As I recall, I pointed out that the Passat had a much better interior, and that the Primera, whilst being a very quick car point to point, lacked the feedback at the limits I desired. I got to the point where I was driving it almost right on the edge and knew it would end up in a ditch before long.

I was never overtaken by anything - hot hatches included in the Passat on anything but dead straight roads where I chose not to do silly speeds. It was also quicker off the line than most hot hatches - official 0-60 times put it at 7.9secs, which is equal or better than a lot of so-called 'hot hatches'.

No, because I couldn't find a decent cheap car for the commute. I spent ages looking for a suitable Alfa before settling on the Passat. The Primera was bought because I needed something to get me to and from Wales whilst I was having the clutch slave repaired on the 75.

Which, taken in context of a 1.1 city car, they do. Do you understand context?

My car is my office, I want nice detailing, quality plastics and generally somewhere I want to spend my time. This happens to rule out everything from Ford - even Vx make better quality interiors. And yes, the B6 Passat is quite a remarkable car. As sharp to drive as anything else in the class whilst being finished to a higher standard and having pretty much the best diesel engines in the class, too.

I still hate diesels, but as diesels go, this one's a good one. However, neither myself or the company will pay the tax and fuel costs of the

2.0FSI-T, which would be my choice from the range.

Still, despite all your attempts at taking the piss out of me, I can console myself that I don't have a Yank at home pulling my strings and telling me what I can and can't buy.

Reply to
SteveH

It's a compromise solution. Doesn't save a significant amount in running costs over a quattro style 4wd system whilst not really punting enough power to the tail when you mash the loud pedal to the floor. It's 4wd for people who only know FWD.

Reply to
SteveH

Gotcha. I'm fortunate in that the maximum theoretical limit is 70. Traffic usually sits at ~55 because somewhere a few miles in front, one truck is overtaking another...

Reply to
DervMan

In years past I've had this discussion with an Audi dealer, who was unable to substantiate the claim that the Haldex system saves fuel with a figure.

That's odd. It may depend on the machine in question but as I understand it the electronics may transfer all power to the back, if needed.

It has some advantages, though. It doesn't give that nasty drivetrain shunt you can get from some permanent all wheel drive systems. It result in both reduced friction and improved grip. Mercedes used a similar (ish) system,

4Matic.
Reply to
DervMan

As I understand it, the max. split is 40/60 front / rear.

Reply to
SteveH

It's the first time in this thread.

My data suggests adding a second to the above time. Even allowing for some Saxo Optimism in your data, both Peugeot 206s to wear the "GTi" badge are quicker. The Clio 172 is also quicker. I see more 206 and Clio hot hatches than anythiing else.

Shoot even the 106 GTi is faster.

Better than Fiat do.

Cinquecento. Sporting.

(c) Predictable Comments 2006. All Rights Reserved.

But only in your opinion, which flies in the face of the concensus of opinion.

Hahahahahahaah!

It isn't the best diesel engine, that's arguably the GM / Fiat JTD or the BMW 2.0.

And it's not the quietest or smoothest installation either.

But my point is that you simply haven't driven enough to know a decent diesel.

Why get a faster understeery Passat?!

You live in Wales.

Reply to
DervMan

I'd have a reasonable level of confidence in saying it wouldn't in real life do it in less than 9 seconds. Granted, I've never been in a Passat 1.8T but the Golf 1.8T certainly is NOT a fast car - in anyway - and isn't even quicker than my 206 till over about 65mph. And Parkers seems to agree with me - 8.7 seconds sounds much closer real life, half a second quicker than mine would tally with my experiences of the Golf.

Reply to
Iridium

The official figures are for 7.9 secs. I remember, 'cos it was the same as the official figure for an Alfa 33 16v.

Now, despite what you say, the MkIV Golf 1.8T is actually quite rapid, but it's not a MkII GTI style GTI - it's much more refined and smoother

- you end up going quite quickly in anything with a 1.8T without realising it.

Reply to
SteveH

Something like that, it may be 35/65, but yes.

Reply to
DervMan

Nah definately middle grounder. It's like a 2.2 SRi Astra - but doesn't handle as well. Smooth, refined, quicker than you'd expect, but still when all said and done - a bit average speed wise. They're not slow mind, and they are faster than the figures would suggest, but its more refined all through grunt than out and out speed.

Reply to
Iridium

True, but would you rather be "enjoying" it in a Chesterfield or a=20 deckchair with a badly placed lumbar support.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Muse-Map of the Problematiqu=E9

Reply to
Elder

Some came with power hoods, some didn't.

As for it not being a turbo... I'd counter that for the sort of money you had for a car at that time, a petrol turbo probably wasn't the best choice (not least going by the loss you made on it).

That, and I personally get enough fun out of revvy hot hatches which to their due, tend to not be complete money pits in old age, unlike most sporty petrol turbos which once they're below a certain price range tend to end up at some stage in the hands of some Kev whose spunked so much money buying it and on fuel, he can't afford (or be arsed), to maintain it properly / let the turbo cool down before switching it off etc.

Not to my knowledge - see below.

You appear to be confusing the 216 Cabriolet with a Metro / Mk2 Astra / XR3i Cabriolet.

They might not be your cup of tea, and yes, a decent condition Saab 900 Convertible is a nice place to be... but one in old age that, IIRC, shed =A3700 in less than a year?

Your loss, as they say...

--=20 JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

The brakes need constant cleaning / unseizing (back calipers, anyway), but the R8 200 series is actually pretty resistant to tin worm.

If they're going to go anywhere, they'll scab up at the bottom of the front wings, and where the sills meet the rear arches.

Quite surprising given how easily the outer panels of their Maestro / Montego siblings which continued to be produced along the R8 up until around 95, scabbed up.

--=20 JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

If I knew that the Chesterfield used a *lot* of petrol and that I'd be unable to afford parts for it when it broke and it was my only means of transport to and from my place of earning a living then sorry - I'd be commuting in a deck chair. Oh wait - I do.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Metro Cabriolet? Is that an Elise?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I think you'll find the late ones with the vent in the offside front wing, did.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Especially if it was a late E300TD with the 24v diesel lump.

HTH. ;-)

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Heh... either you're trying to be 'humorous', or you're unaware they actually did make a Metro Cabriolet - it was probably badged up as a

100, actually.

Still the same shit reheated, though.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

My intention is to get a W211 early next year - and there's plenty of good condition W210 around they sold enough of them to be fussy about which you buy, I'd have a 210 myself but the petrols are too thirsty (and I can only see fuel prices going up) and the 300TD isn't much quicker than the new

220CDi which is much quieter.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

roflmao