the FSOC rolling road day

That'll be a flattering dyno then! I bet some cossie owners were seeing 250 on that!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I would have thought not. Same for track day use....

I see quite a few cars outside motorosports events being picked up by AA/RAC/Greenflag having been dragged there by a friend.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Heh! T'other week a mate of mine was telling me about this bloke he heard about that hired an Elise for the weekend - could have even been just for the day. Anyway, the hire was limited to driving in the UK. So he hired a trailer, popped the Elise on the trailer, towed it to the Nurburgring, drove it around the 'ring, virtually totalled the thing, put it back on the trailer, took it back to the UK, found a twisty road, took it off the trailer, and told the hire company he'd lost it on a bend.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

power engineering does the most local 4wd rollers for me too but unless anyone else wants to suggest somewhere? or you could always wait until my mate in derby has his one fitted :) central to everyone :)

Reply to
dojj

someone "female" wrapped his xr4x4 tt round some sort of dual carriage way lane seperators coming round a roundabout so he went and got a fairly minty XR4i and just swapped everything over so we now have a 4wd 3.1 (from 2.9) twin turbo'd sierra XR4i :) and he lost 128 brake through the transmission, which is good going seeing as some cars will lose upto 50%

Reply to
dojj

everyone who went on the dyno got fairly compariable results for what they expected the lexus GS430 made 292 and all the dohc lads made just over book with a few mods and a little bit more with a lot of mods

Reply to
dojj

Also sprach " dojj" :-

How is the loss in the transmission measured?

Reply to
Guy King

An interesting question. I make this about 100 kW or a heat generation equivalent to a hundred 1kW fan heaters all running at maximum under the car.

Even leaving the handbrake on might not be enough :)

Reply to
Questions

The coast down approach? I'm not sure myself...

Reply to
DervMan

It seems to be more of a guess than anything else...

Check out the paragraph headed "Coast Down Losses"

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Also sprach Colin Stamp :-

Ah, I suspected as much!

Reply to
Guy King

but thats not the way you do a power run you tottle along in 1st 2nd and 3rd followed by a few throttles in 4th (where there is the least amount of tranny loss) then the operator lets the revs go down to around the 1 k mark and then boots it when the rev limit is reached he lifts off and the figures are calculated on the rotation of the road to power the engine to that speed and thus transmission losses are accounted for :) i have never been to a rolling road where they dip the clutch or put into nuetral to measure these "losses" i know dave knows what he's taling abuot, but this makes no sense whatsoever

a lesser individual might say he was talking bollocks, but i'll give him the benifit of the doubt, and if he proves his case i'll agree with him

Reply to
dojj

Also sprach " dojj" :-

That can't be right - you'd also be measuring the power required to turn the engine at redline speed with the throttle shut in addition to the transmission losses.

Reply to
Guy King

[snip]

If I'm understanding your description right, they use the momentum of the rollers to drive the transmission? But how is that going to be an improvement on the method Dave saw? The transmission will only be lightly loaded in that condition - not torqued up to the eyeballs as it is with the engine at full smoke. You'd be using the wrong sides of all the gear teeth too - probably a different shape since they don't get any wear normally. Then, as Guy says, there's the engine losses too.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Ultimately, the figures at the wheels are what makes your car go faster so whatever black magic is used to push the flywheel figure up makes no difference whatsoever to performance, it just makes people say "Jeezus H, you want to get your gearbox fixed" if you put out a chart that says you are losing 75% of your power in the gearbox somewhere.

Still, it depends on what you went to the session to get.

Reply to
Questions

Also sprach snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com:-

Which, of course, is a convenient fig-leaf to cover the embarassing shortage of power at the wheels despite the amount of money and toys they lavished on it.

Reply to
Guy King

Absolutely!

I went to the rolling road wanting to make sure his torque curve is what it should be - headline figures on the rollers don't bother me, I know how slow he is on the standing quarter mile.

So, entertaining although it is to point out to my annoying "Vauxhall Corsa

1.2i 16v SXi sports limited edition model" :) owning pals that my old school has more power ("look, says so here, see?"), it's probably inaccurate.
Reply to
DervMan

Also sprach "DervMan" :-

Created specially for limited people.